MDA Mk.II FE engined build

Hi all,
just put a few more bits and pieces onto my build site I am running to chart my progress through my build project, so I thought I would take the opportunity to introduce myself and the car to the forum.

Feel free to take a look at my progress so far at www.MDAmk2.com

I started the build up back in March and have been gathering parts and information in about equal quantities ever since - this site is a fantastic mine of information - keep it coming please. The rear body work is down at MDA at the moment and I hope to get hold of it when I get home in a couple of weeks. Then you should be able to see the car in all her glory. I would have picked up all the bodywork together but being an impatient sod I decided to just get the front and rear onto the car and started whilst waiting for the rear clip to follow - then as normal with the build I got called away in a hurry on a last minute notice job which once more left me a few hundred miles away from the car :mad:

The engine should hit the dyno today or tomorrow at Huddart Engines (hoping for a similar output to the '66 Le Mans cars), and then get delivered down to MDA for trial fit with my headers and get measured up for an adaptor to my 930 transaxle (being made in house by Mark and squad)

I am currently at work in the N.Sea and can't seem to post any pics on here due to an internet connection that keeps dropping out :mad: Will remedy that as soon as soon as I get home.

Enjoy the site ;) BillD your build has been a real inspiration with your attention to detail, can't wait to see it painted. :)

Congratulations Craig on a really great site....

It's well laid out, informative and will be an inspiration to many, enthusing an ever increasing number of GT40 Enthusiasts.

Keep up the good work and we look forward to regular updates...rockonsmile

Thanks for that Paul, it was the enthusiasm on this site that helped fire my dream, so I hope if my site can do something similar or help with anybody else's build then I will be happy.

I should be back home again in a couple of weeks so there should be some updates to share soon after that ;)

The bandwidth and connection stability on the boat isn't great at the best of times (never mind in bad weather), so please excuse the lack of photos until I get home but there are plenty on the site to browse through :D

Well the weather has calmed down a bit out here and I seem to have a steady connection now so I'll post a couple of pics in (sort of) chronological order. Should be home in a week or so, will post some pics of the bodywork fitted then :)

AP racing brake option
apfront1.jpg

The MDA engineered cable shifter
cableshift.jpg

The MDA pedal box assembly
KIF_1808.JPG

Floors and fuel tanks fitted
floors_tanks.jpg

Craig
Thanks for the kudos. Your build site is great. I am really looking forward to seeing the final product. Those gold wheels look killer.

Keep us posted

Cheers
Bill D

Just got back home and got hold of the rear body work, few modifications to do to the rear frame and then I will be able to post some pics of the body mounted in place.

shell1.jpg

shell2.jpg

The doors will be here inside the next week or so (the standard MDA hinges have to be redesigned to take the new door), then it's into the body alignment traumas that I have read about on here :rolleyes:

Thanks Bill,
the wheels are standard MDA 3 piece split rim ones (they are produced with the bolts in the rear face to keep a more original look), we have filled the front gap with a rubber based paintable sealant (sikaflex) and then painted all over gold. Mark also sourced a set of BlueStreaks for me which do look the part. (Track day use only sadly)

1966 was a GoodYear ;)
1966goodyear.jpg

The gold paint is a little too orangey in my opinion at the moment, I will have to see what other colours are about. Does anybody know a paint that is close to the original finish?

Well, 1st bit of bad luck on the build.

The FE ate it cam lobes on the dyno runs :( Mike form Huddart engines sent the oil away to Miller's for analysis but this came back with a full bill of health. Suspicion now falls on the Edelbrock heads which he had received as fully built units having too stiff valve springs. These have now been rebuilt over here with springs he knows.

The stripped, inspected and rebuilt engine hits the dyno again next week before being shipped down to MDA where they will mate it to the 930 box and its headers (already down there). Hope to have photos soon :)

The good news is that before the cam failed the engine sounded fantatsic, should be great sat in the back of the 40.

Last edited:
So sorry about the glitch. I had the same problem on a 429 engine. I found out later I was supposed to break in the engine without the inner spring, then install the inner spring after the break-in period. On the rebuild, I went with a hydraulic roller cam.

Good luck on the rebuild and keep us informed
Cheers
Bill D

BigB98

CURRENTLY BANNED
Bill is definately right about cam break in without the inner springs. Been there and done that. The pisser is that my engine builder at the time should have known that.

Well Huddart engines dropped off my engine to MDA yesterday (20th August), Mark took some photos and emailed them up to me this morning. Work will start now on the 930/FE adaptor in the next few days.

Intake

engine_top.jpg

Engine from the left

engine_left.jpg

Engine from the right

engine_right.jpg

Engine from the front

engine_front.jpg

Engine from the rear

engine_back.jpg

The engine is also supplied with The MSD control box, Aviad dry sump tank and a 750cfm Holley and filter

The dyno results are also in :)

560bhp at 6000rpm
580ft/lb at 4000 rpm
:D:pepper:

I think changing gear will be strictly optional around town :)

Last edited:
As an after thought

Does anybody know where I can get a set of "baldy" rocker covers? The only set I can see on ebay will only ship to the USA, is damaged and wont take paypal!

The Le Mans cars ran with these covers (they don't have the cover breathers), as the fitting at the rear of the intake manifold is also a crank vent.

Great progress on the engine Craig, good to see it's back together. I'll see if I can find anything regarding the rocker covers for you on this side of the pond-

Chris

Craig/Chris,
The 'old' 332-352 etc motors had the 'baldy' round top steel covers without breather/filler neck as these cars/trucks had road draft breathers/filler neck in the intake manifold. Might have to try searching out of town a bit to find these parts!

Jac Mac

Brian Stewart
Supporter
I hope to have gold wheels too and so took a photo of 1046's wheels at last years Le Mans Classic. Certianly a much bronzier gold than yours are currently, but I have no idea what the paint code is.

Attachments

• 1046 wheel.jpg
    1046 wheel.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 1,378
Thanks Brian, I have come across a Nissan Gold colour that I think is quite close, I will have to try it out and have a look.

I have fitted my rear handbrake calipers (a pair of Brembo fully mechanical units), that should keep the SVA happy :)

The whole rear brake assembly fitted
rear_hub_complete.jpg

The Handbrake linkage
handbrake_rear.jpg

Space under a 15" inch wheel
handbrake_with_wheel.jpg

Original door latch fitting next :)

Last edited:
My "Baldy" rocker covers turned from the USA a coupe of days ago (2nd attempt as the 1st set got lost in transit) - respect to Dennis Carpenter a replacement set was straight into the post.

baldy.jpg

The GT40 set up uses the crank breather via an adaptor in the back of the intake manifold rather than through the rocker covers.

Does anybody have a photo of the "Ford Experimental" sticker that originally went on the covers; I have several photos that show the wording on the bottom edge of the sticker but not the top.

Dave Collins

Supporter
Craig,

Car will look good with that FE engine with those covers. I have a pic of the sticker which I will dig out and mail to you.

Dave

Back