McLaren video

Thats more like it, If you Can Am guys are coming out here to NZ in February I hope you all drive like that ( or Faster ), should be worth watching!

Jac Mac

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Yehaaaaaa....... Those sounds...... Also, love the shots that show the throttle arm movement.

CanAm and F5000... my favorite racing.... Got any more vids like this Johan ?

Got any of your Mk3b?

Cheers

Looks just like my day at the TRACK...

Attachments

• TRACK Front-on Checking gauges and setting brakes.jpg
    TRACK Front-on Checking gauges and setting brakes.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 538
  • TRACK Rear side & checker truck.jpg
    TRACK Rear side & checker truck.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 546
No, but it is not for lack of trying. I have spent thousands on video equipment
and there always seems to be a problem. First, there did not used to be an alternator and the magneto would cause problems with the sound. Then when we re-hooked the alternator, I would have already worn out that camera, in the vibrating conditions. I have a new camera that has a hard disk in it. I'm hoping to try it at the Brian Redman this weekend. I have in-car video from the 40th anniversary Can Am reunion races last year at Watkins Glen and Road America, but It is tape and I'm not sure how to get it on Youtube.

John Kilgore, that does not look anything like your day at the track. If you must post pictures of your car in otherwise cohesive threads, could you at least post pictures we have not yet seen ?

What I find very interesting is the acceleration rate, and how fast the real estate disappears. The different camera angles are great!

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Hope you get your camera problems solved shortly Johan. Will look forward to footage from you.

You're right about the trannies, the comparison between syncro and dog boxes is like night and day.

Cheers,

Hey,
That's the same car in the link I made for Laguna Seca. What kind of fuel injection is that? Looks kind of strange. Great angles.

A 1.38 using the long turn 11. I have no other car data to compare that to...

Hi Darren,
I think it is a ZF because there is a noise associated with clutch actuation in between gear changes. There is a "zone" if you will, associated with the out/in/out of the clutch in between gears. If you watch both videos, the McLaren gear shifts sound like a Hewland where the gearbox goes from one gear to the next with no delay, while there is a substantial delay with the T70 in the second video.
My cars with Hewlands sound like the McLaren video. I do not use the clutch except to get going and the car shifts best that way.
My car with a ZF sounds like the Lola video. There is a momentary pause in gear changing associated with clutch usage and waiting a very small moment for the synchros to work.
If the Lola has a Hewland (Like most all Lolas came with), then the driver is using the clutch and taking a lot of time shifting, which is not good for a Hewland. I am almost sure that it does not have a Hewland though, from listening to it.
Has my explanation been clear ? Many cars that came with a Hewland now run ZF transmissions as the Hewlands are hard to find. The ZF is a suitable replacement if a Hewland can not be obtained.

I rewatched both videos and the Mclaren driver is using his clutch on downshifts but probably not on upshifts. The upshifts are instantaneous.
The Lola driver uses his clutch on both upshifts and downshifts and the shifts are not as quick. Darren, what do you think ?

Well, I sat and watched both vids again and again... Both drivers have very different styles. The Can-Am car being much more aggresive, with probably what 750Hp pushing 650Kgs against 500Hp and 850Kg's for the T70. T70 driver much more leisurly. Plus, knowing the way that "The Classic" is organised they wouldn't let a T70 with a ZF box in the paddock let alone out on track to compete. They even dock cars running MSD ignition 30 sec's a race.But I have an ulterior motive as we have this car in the workshop at the moment and I know it has a Hewland, although it does have a ZF-type cam and pawl diff, rather than the usual Salisbury. I don't think there are any T70's racing in the UK or Europe with a Zf box in them, but I think the reg's in the US are prob a little more liberal as to originality, with T70 bodied Can-Am cars racing as T70's (because they are almost identical chassis, built along side one another......NOT).
Anyway thats my bit for now.
Regards,

Darren

CRC Racecar Engineering.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Hi Darren,

If the Lola has a Hewland (Like most all Lolas came with), then the driver is using the clutch and taking a lot of time shifting, which is not good for a Hewland.

Johans right. That sort of shifting stuffs the dogs. Being gentle on it is not good for it!

See Hewlands site on gear change techniques.

Cheers

Back