Hello from Perth, Australia.

Hi All,

I'm in Perth, Western Australia and am ~75% through designing and ~2% through constructing my scratch built car.
The car itself is mid engined and not a replica of any sort, the final shape of the body being the least defined part of the project at the moment.

Anyhow looking through the site it looks like many of the same technical problems that have to be overcome building at GT40 are common to my build, so I hope you don't mind me joining in the conversation.

I'll try not to ask stupid questions and keep my responses to things I think I actually know a little about.

If you're interested in the project it can be viewed at: GuerillaMotive.com

Doug.

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Welcome Doug,

Have to agree with Richard re the web site - nice job there.

Don't worry about the questions too much however strongly suggest you have a go at the search tool if you haven't already. It works remarkably well and you'd probably be surprised how many challenges you'll soon come across have already been the topic of 'spirited' discussions.

This is truly a great group of people. I'm certain you'll receive more help, encouragement and good advice than you're likely prepared for if you put a question out there.

Best wishes with the build,

T.

Thanks for the kind words on the website, normally I'm as artistic as a rock! I see there's a few WA builders on this site, I've missed the last few months but I'm going to try and make sure to get along to the next meeting of the The Sports Car Builders Club of Western Australia . I believe their next meet is August 2nd, though thats hard to decifer from the web site.

Obviously they're geared to the LoCost side of things but they're working witht the powers that be to get a properly defined set of rules for what is and isn't allowed etc.

they're working witht the powers that be to get a properly defined set of rules for what is and isn't allowed etc.

I noticed that, which I think will be fantastic for build guidance.

I have bought some stuff from Charlie Unwin, and he is a very knowlegable and helpful bloke, and I used Susprog 3D for my suspension design too.

Do you have a mechanical background, or did you just really really want to build it and start reading all the books you could find (my approach)?

I've a reasonable Engineering background, I studied Mechanical & Production Eng at Uni in the UK and worked at various design jobs after, but for the last 6 years I've been working for an engineering software company so these days I feel a bit distant from doing real engineering for a living.

For the automotive side of things it really is just a question of reading and re-reading the books until you get it.

Richard do you have a build log of where you've got too?

My only Lola trivia moment is I went to tech college with Graham Broadley's son.

Hi Doug

I don't have a build website as we are currently building the prototype car for what we hope will progress into low volume production, so I want to keep the design details pretty close for now.

But I'm very happy to talk about the engineering of mid-engined V8s on the forum, and generally about my project (Convertable with LS2 and probably a 993 transaxle in the prototype). We've done 90% of the chassis and pulled moulds off the buck, and the next step is finish fabricating the suspension before starting to purchase the high ticket items.

Is Graham Broadley Eric's son?

Graham I think was Eric's cousin, from what I recall he was the business end of the operation whilst Eric ran the technical side. I least thats what I recall someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

BTW let me know if there's anything I can help with I will work for access to a lathe or milling machine :D

Man, if I had a lathe and mill at the moment you would be welcome to use them. I'll probably pick up a mini lathe to do spacers for the suspension and a myriad of other small bits and pieces, but we are also doing this as an exercise in constraining all possible costs, so no unnecessary toys - all driveable prototype and production car engineering work will be subcontracted out.

As drill presses are so cheap these days they can almost be considered disposable items, so I'll try to do as much milling as I need this way, or using the lathe as a mill when that becomes necessary to buy.

Just spotted this thread. Barrie Nelson is the current president of the WASCBC as mentioned previously in this thread.

I've had a lot to do with Barrie over the years, through our association with Triumphs, and he is a great guy and a wealth of technical info.

I trust the scratch builds are progressing nicely?

I know Barry from my Locost days, I used the Locost experience as an apprenticeship to building a GT40. Did the whole ICV licensing thing
and learnt heaps about WA's licensing proceedures and how it can go wrong with a few easy mistakes. I didn't realise how much I would miss my Locost after selling it. I'm keen for another but this time may whimp out and buy an Arrows.

Attachments

• davedriving.jpg
    davedriving.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 333
Funny story
I was driving home in my Locost with my wife from Denmark and felt this
whack in my head, I thought to myself that was a Hell of Bug and they must be getting tougher by the year. Anyway felt dizzy a few minutes later and my driving wasn't the best. Got home and found one of the front cycle gaurds nuts had come off and it was what probably hit me in the head when it came off. The Pit Guy was right "You need a windscreen".

That car with it's Turbo motor would do 0-60mph in 4.03 seconds and the 1/4 mile in 12.8

It looks like a Tiger from that angle. Have you seen the twin ZX9R engined monster?

Tiff Needel setting some record in it on Youtube. Then it breaks.

The cars coming along (to bloody slowly though!). The progress shown on the web site is a little out of date, I'll get that caught up soon.
I had thought of starting a build log thread on this site for people to comment on the build, wasn't sure if that was appropriate or not though.
The car building club has been a great thing to be in I'd recommend it to anyone building a kit-car, scratch built of any description. At the last meet there were ten "Se7en's" there, which was a good turnout, it'd be great to see some more variety there though.

Back