Elkhart 2007

It was fun Scott. Niki Laudas 312 Ferrari was the show stopper for me. My first F1 race was at the Glen, and I saw that car run with Niki himself behind the wheel. That configuration with the big side scoops always got me. My life was never the same after that race.
Chris

Chris
Nice photos
Unfortunately I was invited to go but could not make the trip. The guys just got back last night after eating a front bearing on the tow vehicle, and were all glowing because they took 1st in class. I wonder if you saw the ex-Al unser Jr. Valvoline car, and the 962 Porsche...now I just need to fix all the stuff they bent while out there.
Cheers
Phil

The Porsche 917 has a For Sale Sign in the window...and did I see the price of $165K, is that right???? Replica?

Do you have anymore information regarding the 917?????

Great pictures, and thanks for sharing!!!

I have seen the 917 for sale at a few SVRA events. It looks to be an extremely well done tube frame replica with a Porsche 3.8 6 cylinder and a 915 gearbox. It is located in Ohio and I believe it has been titled and road legal. It did not appear to have any creature comforts as far as a road car goes.
The owner shows up to the races in a semi with 4-6 high dollar formula, sports racer, and can-am type cars as well. Somehow ($$$???) he managed to get SVRA to allow him to race the car in group 5 Vintage which is where a real one would be allowed to race.
Last year I was on the track at the same time as the 917 at Mid-Ohio during practice. I only lapped it once in my 1750cc Alfa Romeo GTV.(DOH!!! I hope it goes better than that)
I understand it has been on e-bay and not met reserve @ $145,000 more than once.
Other than that, I can only say it is an absoloutly stunning looker.

Andy

Actually, he has not raced the 917 in group 5. It does not yet have a fuel cell, so it can not have passed tech for at least that reason.

Johan,

Now that you mention it he did not race, but he did practice with us at the VSCDA Fall finale last year @ Mid-Ohio. I just looked up the practice times and neither the 917 or myself are listed. I was not listed because my transponder was off, perhaps he was granted a one time "practice" or show for a potential buyer.
Regardless, I can't believe it would be allowed to race vintage even with a fuel cell. Modern motor/trans and modern brakes.
I found a link to the car

Bring a Trailer » One-off Gulf Porsche 917K Clone in Ohio…

I have no connection to this car.

Andy,

Thanks for the information and link.

Looks like it could fool quite a few people. And for you 917 people out there, be nice to me, OK?

I am not a 917 expert, but it sure looks pretty.......and you know what they say about Blondes!!!!!! ?????

:pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper:

Cheers,

The car is a nice car. It is very well done. If it had a proper Porsche flat 12 it would be allowed to race in Group 5. If it had a real chassis and a 3.6 liter 6 cyl. it would also be allowed to race in group 5.
Being a replica chassis with the wrong motor, the only way it could race is if the owner had several other original cars that also raced and the situation was looked at "as a whole".
It would be allowed to race "as is" but with proper safety gear, with SVRA in a non-spectator event , of which there are several each year. The specator events are tougher.

Back