Greetings from a Lotus owner

I believe in being prepared! I currently own the car design that Ford considered before awarding the GT40 design to Lola.... A Lotus Europa. Eventually I will be purchasing a GT40, probably in kit form and building it myself. It's time to "lurk and learn" so a fast hello to all of you!

Rick
74_4576R TCS
80 Spitfire
British Auto Sports

RDR,

Welcome.

There are many features at this web site that will assist you in technical and pictoral information regarding assistance in building your GT40.

You will have a great time interacting with other members on this site, as they are a great bunch of people.

Welcome Rich,
Am a fellow Europa owner too. Have an S1 with 190hp Zetec. Got the bug for really big hp and ordered a Superformance MII. You will enjoy this site.
Dave Miller

Rich,
Colin Chapman was a genius with great small sportscars and single seaters, but his big bore sports racers left a lot to be desired. Ford was wise to go with the Lola and not a Lotus 30 or 40.

Rich,
Colin Chapman was a genius with great small sportscars and single seaters, but his big bore sports racers left a lot to be desired. Ford was wise to go with the Lola and not a Lotus 30 or 40.

Lotus built a version of the Europa for GKN with a Rover V8 (bored out to 4.4L). It can do 0-100 MPH in 11 seconds and has a top speed of 160+ MPH.

Greetings from another Europa owner. I had three of them. I raced them back in the '70's in SCCA. Raced in Canada also. The Europa is a fun car, but after racing them for ten years you learn all their weak points. It seems good ones are getting hard to find. If you can fit in a Europa, you can fit in a GT40!

Well many thanks to all... I do feel welcome and intend on becoming an active contributor. You're right, Ford was wise to go with the Lola design.

Now here's a question on process that perhaps should go as a new thread. The way that I want to approach the build is dictated by the purse strings and the fact that I have 2 kids going to college next year. :eek: I want to purchase a "roller" or something close but not finished. I'll then want to purchase the needed pieces over time to build this. Meaning one month focus on getting all the suspension stuff, then place an order for all the interior stuff as I can afford it, etc. Has anyone ever built one like that? I'm sure that there are suppliers that will give you a basic starter kit, then as it's finished, sell you the next series of "stuff" that you need, etc. May be more expen$ive, but in the long run, be a better fit for my lifestyle. Any thoughts on this OR any recommendations on manufacturers that specialize in this type of build?

Take care,

Rick
:D

Rick,

Being also quite new to this forum I simply went through some build threads and you'll be amazed what some on here build themselves and there are many examples of parts sourced through Ebay or specialized companies and forum members selling parts. So for sure you can build your GT40 the way you have in mind. Enjoy!

John

Hi Rick. Welcome.
Lots of Lotus nuts are also into GT40's.
I have an RFGT40, and also a Honda K20 powered Lotus Elise S1.

My brother has a JPS Europa T/C Special ( and also S1 Exige, 340R, S1 Elise).

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Rick,

Having done the two-kids-in-college-at-the-same-time-can we-even afford-McDonalds? trick, I well remember not having enough funds to take the missus out very often, let alone bring home a 40. If you've the means to make all that happen at the same time, then by all means go for it! What a fabulous reminder that car will be that the kids will eventually be out of school and your financial situation will come back into the black.

As for doing it over a period of time, no one but you knows your ability to be patient and how long you can bear to see the car in an unfinished state; some of the guys here have been working 6 and 7 years to finish their cars. On the plus side of beginning now, you will be able to start gathering the extra parts as time and $$ allows, most certainly starting the assembly as the kids are into their junior year and getting closer to a degree. Oh, I forgot to ask: By any do one or both of them have plans to become a doctor...?

Whether you take the step now or later, Rick, you're in for one great ride. Pun intended.

Best.

T.

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
I have an S2 Lotus Europa with a 1600 twin cam Toyota motor and an RF GT40. I intend to get an Esprit and maybe fit it with a Lexus V8. I like mid engine cars, race car handling wonderful.
Ross

Well many thanks to all... I do feel welcome and intend on becoming an active contributor. You're right, Ford was wise to go with the Lola design.

Now here's a question on process that perhaps should go as a new thread. The way that I want to approach the build is dictated by the purse strings and the fact that I have 2 kids going to college next year. :eek: I want to purchase a "roller" or something close but not finished. I'll then want to purchase the needed pieces over time to build this. Meaning one month focus on getting all the suspension stuff, then place an order for all the interior stuff as I can afford it, etc. Has anyone ever built one like that? I'm sure that there are suppliers that will give you a basic starter kit, then as it's finished, sell you the next series of "stuff" that you need, etc. May be more expen$ive, but in the long run, be a better fit for my lifestyle. Any thoughts on this OR any recommendations on manufacturers that specialize in this type of build?

Take care,

Rick
:D

Hi Rick,

Welcome - if you're planning a build you'll find this site invaluable as the best source of assitance and good cheer with fellow owners and builders of GT40s.

I think you'll have some success finding vendors who can provide you with a kit piece meal as you describe. RCR does a very nice kit in an aluminum chassis and I suspect Fran there would work with you to extend the provisioning over some time. You might also have some luck finding a partially built car that has stalled in someone's workshop - I seem to recall seeing a couple advertised over the last couple months. Perhaps check out Cobra Country (427 Cobra Country--Ford AC Cobra replica manufacturers SUPER-SITE). Of course, that process runs the risk of having to re-do the work of others which may not be up to your standards. I think Superformance may only sell complete rollers. CAV can deliver partial kits. I believe Tornado is launching a larger presence in the US and supplies kits in various stages of completeness as well - try doing a search and definitely review the builders forum.

Love your Europa. I have a '97 S4S Esprit and love it but have always really liked the elegance and classic styling of the Europa.

Enjoy!

hi rick, is it all in the name? I to have a lotus europa (banks 62 body) 1.8 turbo 210hp in stage 1 AND I have an '73 spitfire AND I will start building a gt40 when the lotus is running AND yes my name is rick
greetings rick

Now that's funny! Great "names" think alike! My Lotus, fortunately, is on the road as is the Spit so where's the next project? :lol:

Back