GT4010.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,149
  • GT4011.JPG
    GT4011.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 1,149
  • GT4012.JPG
    GT4012.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,152
Why would you say that?(Yes.I know that they are Nitto 555Rs)

Foowowee:Great car!!!! LOVE the color!

Hi Ron,
I was not aware what brand of tyre they were, just know by looking at them they are probably drag tyres of some description.
I saw your build thread from a link on Fchat, your build is a credit to you, I am sure you are proud of it with good reason.

Foowowee,

I'm interested to find out what you think of the Nitto tires. They sure do look nice but how's the feel? Time has come for me to pick tires for my baby, SPF 2200, and I'm thinking of going that route. Pics, especially side profile, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Rich.​

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Really a stunner!!! I like the open engine bay under the rear window... The red accents in the interior also add a really nice flair!

The inherent problem that people experience with running racing tires on the road is that they pickup every little pebble and grain of sand, then hurl them at the fine paint job... If these have got a DOT stamp on them and are of at least a 100 Treadwear - I doubt that you'll have trouble to that degree..

Attached is a side view. For my purposes, these tires are fine (cruising and occasional mild "exhibitions of speed". They are DOT approved and ride fine.
I will not track the car, because I can't afford to lose it. But make no mistake, no matter what anyone says, these are true race cars, replica or not. They are not glorified Corvettes.
On another note, I had a ball today at the Inaugural Bobby Rahal Historic Races that were held at Joliet's Autobahn Country Club. It was a neat event and for $35.00 additional I was able to tour the track with my Beck Speester.
I was surprised at how well it handled, and it has cheap Kumho Tires. One of my buddies is at the wheel in the enclosed pic.
Also for those interested, I am having custom made wheel end caps made that say GT40 on them by a fabulous craftsman. He is sending me prototypes which I have to return to him. I will post pics if anyone is interested. I had them made for cosmetic purposes, but it turns out there is no seal in the open design from the factory, and water can get in and ruin your bearings. These caps will have a double O ring which will keep moisture out.

Mike

Attachments

• GT409.JPG
    GT409.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 734
  • Beck9.JPG
    Beck9.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 756
Thanks for the reply. The tires really do fill up the wheel well nicely. Have you experience if the tires tend to throw debris because of the compound or not.

Thanks
Rich.

Mike, the car looks great! While I love the classic lines of the MkI, the MkII is a real badass in its own right. I'd be interested in hearing your comparison of the handling differences between your speedster and GT40.

Back