SPF MKI, Bellhousings and all the other little stuff!

With my car, a SPF GT40 MKI about to arrive in the US on the Aug. 15th (in N.J. of all places) I'm starting to look in earnest at parts and I have some questions in think some of you can help me with. I worked with Lynn Miner installing his ZF and dropping the engine into the car. Is the lower cross member that goes under the transaxle any different on the SPF MKI’s than the MKII’s? The reason I'm asking is I have to pick a bellhousing and the one he had, had to have the lower part milled at a 45deg. angle to make fit (a Kennedy I think). I've been looking at a reproduction of the original bellhousing used on the GT40 MKI's and it has two big ears at the bottom rear that I assuming would have bolted to the lower cross member (see picture below). Would this old style bellhousing fit the SPF MKI? Can some one with a SPF GT40 MKI post some pictures of the crossmember taken from the engin side?

I also need to know if any one knows where I can get the cross shaft and parts to put in an external hydraulic clutch cylinder? Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• MKI_Bellhousing.jpg
    MKI_Bellhousing.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 1,121
Last edited:
Some pictures of the Kennedy bellhousing.

Attachments

• IMG_1948.jpg
    IMG_1948.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 1,112
  • IMG_1947.jpg
    IMG_1947.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 1,120
  • IMG_1946.jpg
    IMG_1946.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 1,113
David thanks for the reply, do you have some pictures of your clutch setup that you would like to share? I’m in the queue for a Quaife but at this point I’m not sure what’s going to happen.:confused: Also if some one has some good pictures of how the orignal cars used the ears that would be a big help.

Last edited:
This falls under the little stuff. I would like make a list of any missing parts before I hand over the check for my car in a few weeks. Does anyone have a list of parts that should come in the "box" with a SPF MKI. I have an older list for a MKII but I'm not sure it would be correct at this point. Thanks.

Steve Briscoe

Lifetime Supporter
Richard-
I can't help with the original bellhousing question but I do know the guys at Legendary Motorsport, Castle Rock, Colorado have fabricated a smaller bellhousing and flywheel that keeps the bottom of the car flat. If you're interested, their number is (303) 688-1022. They sell a lot of SPF cobras along with some GT40s.

Have a great day!
Steve

Thanks Steve, I looked at their site the other day and didn't find the bellhousing so I guess I'll have to give them a call. Thanks again.

I've been looking at a reproduction of the original bellhousing used on the GT40 MKI's and it has two big ears at the bottom rear that I assuming would have bolted to the lower cross member (see picture below).

Referencing the top photo in this thread--where exactly did this bellhousing come from? Unlike the Kennedy unit, it looks like a proper copy of the original. A small-diameter clutch and flywheel would also be necessary.

Source please?

Thanks!

With my car, a SPF GT40 MKI about to arrive in the US on the Aug. 15th (in N.J. of all places) I'm starting to look in earnest at parts and I have some questions in think some of you can help me with. I worked with Lynn Miner installing his ZF and dropping the engine into the car. Is the lower cross member that goes under the transaxle any different on the SPF MKI’s than the MKII’s? The reason I'm asking is I have to pick a bellhousing and the one he had, had to have the lower part milled at a 45deg. angle to make fit (a Kennedy I think). I've been looking at a reproduction of the original bellhousing used on the GT40 MKI's and it has two big ears at the bottom rear that I assuming would have bolted to the lower cross member (see picture below). Would this old style bellhousing fit the SPF MKI? Can some one with a SPF GT40 MKI post some pictures of the crossmember taken from the engin side?

I also need to know if any one knows where I can get the cross shaft and parts to put in an external hydraulic clutch cylinder? Thanks for the help.

Richard,

I am Bob Wood of Safir GT40 Spares, the company that licenses the GT40 name and serial numbers to SPF. Congradulations on buying an SPF GT40! It will be a great car!

We supply original style bell housings with the ears to attach to the bottom cross member of your car. The SPF MkIs and the MkIIs are essentially the same. There might be some "clearencing" needed if one were to put a big block in rather than a small block.

We sell a package of a twin disc clutch, small flywheel and ring gear, and bell housing which requires no machining to make it fit. If an SFP GT40 is fitted with a 157 tooth flywheel and the Kennedy/ERA/etc. bell housing, the bell housing and flywheel/ring gear will hang below the bottom cross member by 1"-1.5". The bell housing will be the lowest part of the car, and any road kill larger than a snake will be collected by the hang-down. Any bottoming of the car will be the bell housing.

Our package is genuine GT40 and, we believe (of course)the only one to use.

Give us a call at 513-672-8105 office, 513-310-4119 cell.

Again, congradulations on your new car, Richard!

Bob Wood

Bob thanks for the post. I'm sure everyone will take an interest. Part of my original question was if the SPF GT40 lower cross member had the holes for the lower ears and I think the answer is no. As the primary use of the car is going to be a road car, will the twin disc clutch work in that application? I'll be giving you a call. Thanks again.

Last edited:
We sell a package of a twin disc clutch, small flywheel and ring gear, and bell housing which requires no machining to make it fit. If an SFP GT40 is fitted with a 157 tooth flywheel and the Kennedy/ERA/etc. bell housing, the bell housing and flywheel/ring gear will hang below the bottom cross member by 1"-1.5". The bell housing will be the lowest part of the car, and any road kill larger than a snake will be collected by the hang-down. Any bottoming of the car will be the bell housing.

You sound justifiably proud of this package. The question is, HOW proud, i.e. how does justified pride translate into $$$$$??? :)

Apparently you guys don't have a website? Google didn't turn up anything.

Do you have any photos of this package? What kind of clutch do you use? McLeod, AP Racing, or ???.

How 'streetable' is it? I know McLeod makes a twin-disc setup for Panteras which is full-diameter and very streetable. I also know (or rather, have been told) that most multi-disc small-diameter 'racing' clutches are miserable on the street and can have a short lifespan if subjected to bumper-to-bumper traffic conditions.

Thanks for sharing information about your product--it sounds like it is the only proper way to go. :)

The word on the 'street' <chuckle> is that in general a carbon disc is much more friendly for street use than a metallic regardless of dia. Of course you are after surface area in the end and you get surface area through dia or the number of plates. Most multi plate STREET clutches Ive come across are carbon and are signifigantly more expensive than the metallic version of the same. The Ford GT has a twin plate clutch and Ive heard no short life horror stories on that set-up, that being said I dont know what disc material is......

Jim Pearson

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Mike Drew,

I have a Tilton 8.5" twin plate clutch #68-002HGG in my recently refurbished, road use, RML40. This clutch is rated at 750lb-ft, although my engine is only 440lb-ft.

The clutch pedal pressure is very reasonable, has excellent progressive feel and is well mannered in traffic.

I haven't yet done very many miles, so cannot comment on durability, but the combination of 1 sintered and 1 organic plate was specified (by Bruce at GP Racewear, Silverstone, UK) as being a good compromise between feel and wear.

Mounting is interchangeable with the AP Racing unit and with a slightly lower package height.

Link to drawing etc Tilton Engineering - Driveline, Clutches, 2-Plate

No connection, etc, etc, but most impressed so far.

Jim

Thanks for the post Jim, it's good to know that someone is using one of these in a street applacation and it's working.

Bob was very nice to reply to my post and give out his phone number. I understand he is a wealth of information and great on the phone. I'm giving him a call tomorrow and I'll let erverone know what I find out.

Last edited:

Steve Briscoe

Lifetime Supporter
We supply original style bell housings with the ears to attach to the bottom cross member of your car. The SPF MkIs and the MkIIs are essentially the same. There might be some "clearencing" needed if one were to put a big block in rather than a small block.
We sell a package of a twin disc clutch, small flywheel and ring gear, and bell housing which requires no machining to make it fit.
Give us a call at 513-672-8105 office, 513-310-4119 cell.

Bob Wood

Bob -
Thank you. I didn't realize you guys had this stuff available. I'll pay closer attention in the future - LOL! If you know anyone who has installed a big block and has some recommendations related to clearances, please hook them up with us. I would imagine there are some substantial differences in the various big block options, i.e., side oiler, wet sump, etc. I'm considering a big block in the SPF MKII and I need to do a little more research on this.
Thanks-
Steve

Bob thanks for the post. I'm sure everyone will take an interest. Part of my original question was if the SPF GT40 lower cross member had the holes for the lower ears and I think the answer is no. As the primary use of the car is going to be a road car, will the twin disc clutch work in that application? I'll be giving you a call. Thanks again.

Hi, Richard,

We have discussed with HiTech about the inclusion of the mounting holes, and I hope that they are ding it now. I will follow up with Jim Price and inquire again. The holes are really quite simple as they are merely holes drilled with bushings welded in the drilled holes. The bell housing has the "metalastic" bushings fitted to it.

The clutch package that we offer is made exclusively for Safir by McLeod, and in fact is the McLeod Magnum Force unit. We do use organic discs, and we can supply it with one or two discs depending on the torque of your motor. The clutch is the same one that is installed in the Saleen (((how's that Don?)) inside joke) S-7. Before we began making the units we spoke with many people, and all feel that it will be fine for street use. GT40s are light and the flywheel and clutch package weighs about 26 pounds, so their should be sufficient inertia to work well.

I had a rod bearing fail in MkV, and I am at present putting it back together. I will install one of our units so that I will be able to give first hand knowledge as to its operation. At present I am sorry to have to admit that we do not have a package operational, although several have been sold. The McLeod people know clutches, and while they acknowledge that these car/engine/clutch combinations are variable and high performance, they feel that their/our units will work well on the street. My car has/had an original style Borg and Beck,and it required a little practice to be smooth without slipping. I fervently believe that our units will work very well with minimal practice.

Bob

You sound justifiably proud of this package. The question is, HOW proud, i.e. how does justified pride translate into $$$$$??? :)

Apparently you guys don't have a website? Google didn't turn up anything.

Do you have any photos of this package? What kind of clutch do you use? McLeod, AP Racing, or ???.

How 'streetable' is it? I know McLeod makes a twin-disc setup for Panteras which is full-diameter and very streetable. I also know (or rather, have been told) that most multi-disc small-diameter 'racing' clutches are miserable on the street and can have a short lifespan if subjected to bumper-to-bumper traffic conditions.

Thanks for sharing information about your product--it sounds like it is the only proper way to go. :)

Hi, Mike!

The website is coming, and thank you for searching. I would ask you to just remember that the bittnerness of poor quality lingers long after the satisfaction of low price has gone away.
A little set-up there. We believe that our package is fairly priced at $2410, ex works, Cincinnati, Ohio which includes bellhousing, ring gear, flywheel, and Magnum Force clutch. I hope that you also believe that to be fair!

Please see my answer to Richard regarding the clutch.

Bob Wood

Last edited:
Bob, thanks for your posts and I enjoyed our phone conversation today. I think everyone would like to see some pictures even if there are of the raw castings (sorry it’s the fabricator/machinist in me) as soon as you have a chance to post some. As my car is going to have a “Street” motor I’m sure a single disc would work fine. I'll be keeping in touch.

Back