Help in checking a 2nd hand GTD - UK

I don't have any experience of GT40's and will be going to see a GTD in September with a view to buying it. I live in Surrey and the car I am interested in is located in the South-West of the UK. I would love to hear from anyone with experience in GTD/GT40's who could assist me by comming along to check that the car is all ok and to point out anything that might need attention etc.

Andy,

Welcome aboard! No experience with GT40s? How did you find out about GT40s?

This forum has numerous members all over the world with an enormous amount of knowledge about the GT40 Marke.

Me being a newcomer, so to speak, I knew some background information about the GT40s. I put together a pretty good library for a reference on the GT40. Your best bet is to get down to a good book store, and get some books on the GT40 to build your knowledge base of these wonderful cars. This site has large volume of on line history about the GT40. USe the search feature.

In addition, I am sure a member close to you will chime in to give you the assistance you are asking regarding the inspection deal.

Good luck.

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
Hi Andy
welcome.
There are lots of peeps around Surrey/Hampshire with knowledge of the GTD.
I suggest yu get yourself along to the next Surrey or Hampshire meets and chat to the guys there.

Thanks for the welcome all of you. And thanks for those who have very kindly offered with my prospective purcahse of a GTD, I have emailed you.

As for why I knew of the GT40 etc... well as is the norm I think when I were a wee lad I got to hear of the GT40 (although I am only 43) from my Uncle and Dad etc... and grew to lust after the car, making the airfix models of and painting in the Gulf colours etc...

I have already ordered a book and DVD on the history and racing exploits of the GT40.

As long ago as 10 years ago I came to know of the GT40 replica kit from Tornado and then promised myself that one day, one day I would either build a GT40 replica or buy one already built. Well a few months ago my wife gave me the green light to start preperations to build a Tornado aka GT40, but I noticed the cars, mainly GTD's available to buy at a price within my affordability and which I can be driving not in 2-3 years time but NOW. So I have made contact with a chap selling a GTD and my plan is to check it out hopefully with someone knowledgable of the cars and if all is still OK to buy it.

If all goes to plan me and my wife will be off to Le Mans next year in a GT40 replica, even in the Gulf colours...

For the record I also own a Ducati 749S which I bought from new in March 2006, which I will be keeping along with the GT40 rep.

Andy,

Welcome aboard! No experience with GT40s? How did you find out about GT40s?

This forum has numerous members all over the world with an enormous amount of knowledge about the GT40 Marke.

Me being a newcomer, so to speak, I knew some background information about the GT40s. I put together a pretty good library for a reference on the GT40. Your best bet is to get down to a good book store, and get some books on the GT40 to build your knowledge base of these wonderful cars. This site has large volume of on line history about the GT40. USe the search feature.

In addition, I am sure a member close to you will chime in to give you the assistance you are asking regarding the inspection deal.

Good luck.

Andy,

Call Frank Catt (Wealden Engeneering).

He lives in Hailsham and has a tremendous experience on GTD's.
I am sure he will be glad to help you.

You can have his ctcs via this site.

Good luck !

Rgds
Fred

Back