Superformance Sales Contract

Just wondering if anyone post a pdf of their sales contract with Superformance. Wondering what the warranty and terms and conditions are?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Hmmm.... That's interesting.... I wonder what sort of warranty race teams got with the original cars back in the 60's.....??

Cheers,

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
I understand they all came with a warranty. The old golden 90, as in 90 feet or 90 seconds, whichever came first... :)

T.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Hmmm.... That's interesting.... I wonder what sort of warranty race teams got with the original cars back in the 60's.....??

Cheers,

IMHO, I think Mike might have a good point. These may be "continuation series" GT40's, but they are (again, IMHO) far from a race car. They are a street car--designed and manufactured to be licensed for street use and insurable (OK, I know there's probably somebody out there ready, willing and able to insure the Titanic against sinking right now, but you get my drift). As such, I think that the buyer ought to have a reasonable expectation that the car would remain in as purchased condition for a period of time, perhaps a short period, but still a reasonable expectation of some sort of mechanical warranty.

Mike, there's another "Mike" on the forum who owns a SPF. Perhaps a PM to "SpiderMike" might get you the information you are asking about, or perhaps he's been following this thread and will pitch in. SpyderMike is a stand-up type of guy, he's posted quite a bit on the forum about SPF ownership, and while I certainly can't speak for him, my interaction with him leads me to believe he'd give you a reasonable explanation even if he weren't ready to post a copy of the contract. You might get the info you want if you give him a try.....

Doug

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sorry Doug and Mike.

Tongue in cheek comment. Not meant to be taken seriously. :D

Guess I should have attached an appropriate icon to the post.

Cheers

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Rest assured no offense was taken, Russ. That's one of the great things about this forum--it's one of the few where a person can disagree with a post without getting flamed.

My apologies if my post reflected any angst at all. That surely was not my feeling or intention.

Cheers to you, too!

Doug

As the owner of SPF GT40 P2133, I can speak to this somewhat. The warranty is a bit nebulous. I've had some issues with my car and the stated warranty from my dealer is 1 year, 12K miles on the chassis/body. 90 days on all things electrical and gages. The engine is warranted from the engine installer at what ever arrangements you make and the same goes for the trans. I did my own install so the only warranty I have from the dealer is the chassis/body part. Now for the nebulous part. It seems to be up to each dealer how they handle this. Some dealers basically look at this as a new product and want the customers happy so they do everything they can (within reason) to take care of you regardless of time, and there are others who figure once you pick up the car "it's yours..............good luck to ya!! The lesson here is each dealer operates differently so KNOW WHO YOU'RE DEALING WITH! My dealer was Dynamic Motorsports and I can't say enough good things about Ian Grunes. He has taken care of every issue I've had no questions asked. I've got horror stories from other owners that will curl your hair. Do your research BEFORE you drop any cash.

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Lynn, if the horror stories are not public, how is one to do their research? If the owners do not wish to make the problems known and related back to them, perhaps you can compile the stories and post them without revealing the owner's identity or car number. I would suggest that you obtain the approval to post same, that is, if you were willing to undertake said task.

Gregg, you bring up a great point. First off, I won't make a post about a negative experience that I personally did not experience. To post what amounts to hearsay can get the forum in trouble. Now I can attest that the stories are real but not being the one that lived it, I'm not going to post it. If the owner that had the bad experience is unwilling to do so, then we are out of luck. I know this may sound like a chicken $hit attitude but I've made this mistake in the past and it can really come back to haunt you. When I say do the research, what I mean is really get in there and look for details from SPF owners on the forum. Send PMs asking about who their dealers were and how it all went down. Some guys are simply unwilling to post anything negative because they want to maintain what little support they may get. By getting ugly publicly, the door usually closes forever. When talking to the dealers get very specific and get it in writing. If they won't write it down, you can bet they won't honor it. Stick with the established dealers that have been around for a long time. I can go on and on but you get the point. Common sense would demand that if you are going to drop $100K + on a car, you need to know who you are buying from.

Lynn's experience is similar to mine. I am not where I have a scanner, but I think I do have my purchase contract here. If not, it is at my other house and I won't be there for two weeks.

I have found SPF and Olthoff to be straight up in covering their product/service so far. I had an alternator issue and it was resolved promptly by Olthoff - he sent a new one out free of charge.

I made a point to get my expectations with Olthoff in email trails. We had a snag trying to figure out who was providing what with respect to the Engine and this email trail helped me keep track and I got credits where they were due.

I will look for the docs and post them if I think they answer your question.

Thanks for the kind words Doug!

Mike

Well, I found my sales folder and found no expressed warranty. I do recall a Warranty Agreement of some sort that was executed after delivery. My recolletion is that it basically was and acceptance of the car and an official stating of the warranty period.y period. I think I scanned it at my other house. I will check when I get back there.

The order is just a PO form - not a contract per se. It is a pricing sheet on page 1 and the payment terms on page 2. The payment terms are stated as 25k down (although I put 10k down, and 15k when the order was accepted by Hi-Tech factory), then 25k when it shipped, and the balance when it arrive at the destination (Olthoff's for me). I have a separate Deposit Agreement that made the deposit was refundable prior to finalizing the spec's and purchase of the car as I put the deposit in before the car was truly available.

There is also one line on the form that says "order time is 100 days over December 120 days".

Please keep in mind that I was one of the first 10 customers after the dealers got their cars. I put the deposit in in Feb 2005. This was through HillBank Motors before Lance bought Superformance. Alot has changed since then. I suggest that you contact Lance or Deborah and I am sure that they wll answer your questions or let you see the purchase docs if you want to.

Mike

The law in most states in the US does impose two warranties which are relevant here - the warranty of fitness for a particular purpose and the warranty of merchantability. These are warranties that go with the sale of goods regardless of what the manufacturer/dealer may offer, or, typically more significantly, disclaim. These are complicated warranties that apply differently to different types of products. For example, these warranties would impose a longer term of warranty for a car than a toaster - everyone knows and expects a car to run/operate reasonably for several years whereas a toaster may only operate for a year or less. The essence of these two warranties is that the good must be delivered in a condition which is appropriate for the nature of the good and be fit for use in the way that good is normally used. This would mean that, for example, a car should be fit to use as a car, operate in the way cars normally do and should defects show up in a reasonable amount of time (again, appropriate for a car) the seller must repair or otherwise make amends.

So, net, even if there is no stated warranty, you're not totally out of luck and on your own, at least in the eyes of the law in most states. It may require engaging a lawyer to enforce these warranties and bring about an attitude adjustment upon the seller but that's what we have the law for - to provide an equitable outcome where particular behaviour has been unfair.

As is correctly pointed out above, with respect to SPF you would have the above two warranties upon the car with the exception of the drivetrain.

Back