Newbie from Cambridge, UK

Greetings one and all,
just a quick message to say hello. I'm enjoying the forum - lots to learn here.

It looks to me like RCR is the one to go for, especially after Ron has shown what's possible with his jaw dropping example.
However, i'm under no illusions as to the work that needs to put into this potential project. I'm fortunate enough to have Chris Melia live only 30 minutes away and he was good enough to let me look around his kit, but i was still left with some doubt in my mind as to the level of ability needed to finish it.
So i think my 1st question has to be this -
As a first project is this suitable for someone with no previous kit car experience ?

Also, can anyone tell me about this car or more specifically the sound of it - is it because it's unmuffled ? To me it sounds absolutley perfect !

YouTube - Gt40 losses control

Look forward to posting and reading more.

Simon.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Welcome to the forum Simon. I'm familiar with the YouTube you posted--that is a truly great sounding example of what you're lusting after.

I'm in the same shape as you regarding confidence in being able to complete this project. IMHO, I believe it depends on a couple of things--one being the level of automotive/mechanical competence you possess and the other being the amount of engineering and fabrication the kit you purchase requires. As you research the kits available you'll find a wide range regarding how complete the kit is. You mentioned RCR--they do make a very complete kit. I can only speak for myself when I say I feel I can bolt together almost anything that comes with an assembly manual; it's those cases when the parts aren't in the kit and you have to "figger out" what to do and then create a unique piece to accomplish it that leaves me a bit uneasy. One nice thing, though, is that for the right size check almost any of the kit manufacturers will do a lot of that work for you.

As for "that sound", chances are pretty good that you're hearing the 180* "Bundle of Snakes" header system the GT40 kits use. The header tubes from each cylinder are "bundled" together to provide optimum scavenging, resulting in some of the pipes crossing over and being connected to the same connector as some of the pipes from the opposite side. It has a very unique and unforgettable sound. Surprisingly enough, most of the ones I see on the forum are muffled--can't speak for the example you saw, though.

There are quite a few members from the UK on the forum--keep your eyes out and you'll figure out who they are. There are also quite a few group organizations in the UK that you can join.

Good luck, and hold on--you're in for a great ride!

Doug

Hi Simon and welcome to the forum. I believe that sound of the car in the video has as much to do with solid lifters, high compression and induction as it does with the crossover exhaust. It is a particularly nasty and excellent sounding 40. The recipe for a great-sounding GT40 would include crossover exhaust, high compression, solid lifters, oversquare and good rod ratio designed for high rpm, excellent induction sound and throttle response through Webers or maybe 8-stack EFI, and minimal sound suppression. Someday someone will build a high-revving flat-plane crank V8 and a tri-Y exhaust setup and drive us all crazy. :)

You have some pretty good kits in the UK from which to choose, including RCR, Southern GT, and Tornado. I've been extremely impressed with the pictures of the Southern GT builds I've seen on this forum.

As for your ability to complete the kit, the answer is probably. I've never built a kit car and I'll eventually get mine on the road, although it will be about 6 years by the time I get there. If you have zero mechanical experience or aptitude I'd advise you not to try to build a GT40, but if you have confidence, motivation, perseverence, time and money, you'll get by fine with the support of forum members and friends.

Good luck!

The S.V.A. certification is something you'll seriously need to consider - there are manufactures in the UK who have complied successfully to meet those requirements. MDA and Tornado are a couple who have done such.

Chris

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Simon,

welcome to the fourm...

Feel free to drop me a line with any questions that Chris may not have covered..

I know you guys covered a lot of ground during your time together and Chris is pretty switched on...there is also have an MOT tester on board with RCR that is very SVA savvy, to help ease that burden too.

We do have an comprehensive online build manual available to RCR customers that is very picture loaded and intuitive.

Dont be afraid to embark on your dream project ...whether it be an RCR or not...this forum is a great bunch of guys and whatever choice you make it will be well supported.

Enjoy

Last edited:

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Couldn't be noise, Mesa - that be nothing short of a ambience for a gear head! :)

Check this out. Bill Pinzini posted this the other day - music to ones ears...

YouTube - RCR-40

Hi Guys, thanks for your replies an explainations - friendly and knowledgable indeed.

I can hear that this angry 40 seems to be revving a whole lot highter than most heard. It'll probably cost an arm and a leg, but i must have that sound if i go forward with this ;)

As for mechanical skills - do build and fly model helicopters/aircraft so not a complete stranger to this kind of thing - but it is very much 'slot A into B' type thing so I'm going to have to raise my game somewhat.

John - Sorry, i didn't bring my camera when i visited Chris, but i can say just by the quality of the welds alone that the monocoque is very well constructed and by all accounts the body fits well with hardly any filling required - just check the build logs on here.

Fran - not taking anything away from the other fine kits available, but yours is the only monocoque available so it's a no brainer, for me at least. Would there be any chance of getting an excerpt or two from the build manual just to get a flavour of it ?

Thanks again guys, i'll keep you informed of progress.

Back