Stainless 180 Deg Exhaust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Great work Chris.... I like how you went to great pains to keep the tubes close together rather than just a loose pile of spaghetti like some others I've seen...

What has to be different on the 351w?

Center of Crank to Deck surface is approx 1.270" higher than 289/302 W so crossover-180°headers have to compensate for that, chuck the various raised port options on several of the aftermarket alloy & cast iron heads available & it wont take you long to work out that you have just entered a part of this industry that one size does not fit ALL! Good Luck.

Jac Mac

Beautiful fabrication work! What diameter pipe is used? To Jac Mac's point, the variety of exhaust port locations on aftermarket heads and deck heights on different blocks will require some modifications.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
So - I'm wondering...

Suppose a guy were to make a set of 180's that fit a 351w with raised port heads.

Do you suppose you could have different thickness flange adapters that would then narrow the Left-to-Right side flanges to fit narrower spacing?

So - Figure the face to face distance of the heads were something like follows (btw - totally made up spacing)

24.3" spacing = 351W .130" Raised Port
23.8" spacing = 351W Stock port
23.3" spacing = 302 .130" raised port
22.8" spacing = 302 Stock port

Port adapters are not necessarily a bad thing.. Actually they can really work wonders in blending the port to the header..

Just a thought anyways...

Randy,
You are thinking in the right direction, Actually I think Mondello used to do something similar with chevys back in the 60,s. can be used to your advantage when you incorporate anti reversion dams in the spacer. Still going to get caught with the height of the collectors in relation to the crossmember over the top of the transaxle and clearance to the rear clip.
Here is another thought.If someone was to build a set of 180° exhausts in a semi finished state that still have to have the primaries welded up in that portion where they run across the car @ 90° to the centerline things could be simplified. These would have enough tube so that for the 'Hi-Port' 351w application would be a virtual weld only job , while 289/302 ( std port height ) would require the most pipe trimming, then you only have to cater for the different primary dia's that no doubt someone will want!

Jac Mac

Dont forget the stepped headers , then the different angles of the collector to make sure the muffler clears the myriad of transaxle variations and height/length of the tailpipes to fit each different body style...phew.

Dont forget the stepped headers , then the different angles of the collector to make sure the muffler clears the myriad of transaxle variations and height/length of the tailpipes to fit each different body style...phew.

SSSHHHHH Fran, I was trying to keep those easy tasks for myself!! But this is Chris's thread so I better get off now!

Jac Mac

Chris,

your headers look great..nice attention to detail.

But there certainly is not a one size fits all...

the K.I.S.S strategy has worked well for me so far........ build them for your chassis/engine packages only...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back