Superformance Mk 1 at Monterey

Hi guys,

The Hillbank guys had a Gulf-colored Superformance Mk 1 on display at the Monterey Historic Races. It was the first Superformance Mk 1 I've ever seen in the flesh, and it just confirmed what I already knew--I want one!

Here's a couple of photos:

Superformance1.jpg

Superformance2.jpg

Overall the car looked fantastic, but check out those side view mirrors--what the heck is that all about? Hideous doesn't begin to describe them!

Now, if they would only make the "FIA" rear end.....

Mike. just read your post. yes the gulf colored car is fantastic. The mirrors you are questioning are prototype electric mirrors, makes them much more user friendly for driving, backing up ect. Lance said they might become an available option.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Hey Mike come to Arkie-saw and visit Mike T and myself, I own #2184 which is a red Mk 1. I took pictures of mirrors I really like on an original car in the pits. Here they are for viewing. Notice that the are small and do not protrude from the door but the window, I LIKE this look. The closest thing I could find that looks like these (minus the window bracket) is a California Street Rod Mirror on Ebay. The corner window bracket looks easy to make. The last 2 pictures are of the car I bought after riding in Kirby's car. I really think Mike T. had the whole thing planed when I drove out with them to NC. Had to sell a bunch of toys to get this one.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Pictures, yes I have done this once. :eek:

Attachments

• IMG_8438.jpg
    IMG_8438.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 568
  • IMG_8437.jpg
    IMG_8437.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 570
  • IMG_8301.jpg
    IMG_8301.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 619
  • IMG_8307.jpg
    IMG_8307.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 565
Hey Mike come to Arkie-saw and visit Mike T and myself, I own #2184 which is a red Mk 1. I took pictures of mirrors I really like on an original car in the pits. Here they are for viewing. Notice that the are small and do not protrude from the door but the window, I LIKE this look. The closest thing I could find that looks like these (minus the window bracket) is a California Street Rod Mirror on Ebay.

No, no, no. These aren't cheap junk E-bay hot-rod mirrors.

Those mirrors in your photos are fantastic--I have them on my Pantera. They are Vitaloni Californians--made in Italy. They have been out of production for years, but Talbot Co. purchased a large inventory (600 sets???) and is pretty much the exclusive source for them:

http://www.talbotco.com/

Pegasus racing also shows these mirrors on their website, and their asking price is substantially less:

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/group.asp?GroupID=MIRRORSVINT

I wouldn't be surprised if the website prices were out of date, as reportedly they buy these mirrors from Talbot, and Talbot is getting $89 apiece or something like that.

Note that they are available with both flat and convex glass. I have flat glass on mine and am satisfied, but if I had a choice I'd opt for the security and slightly wider field of view that convex glass offers.

Yours is a beautiful car, and I'm sure these mirrors will complement it well!

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Thanks for the info, mirrors are on order! The last visit to Dennis in NC, he had several gulf cars that looked like they just came off the container. I have seen 1075 up close, one of our past local guys owns it, also I know where you can purchase 1086 if you have close to a couple mil hanging around or win the lotto. If you don't have a couple spare mil and don't gamble call Dennis best bet to a fun time. I realize that some things in life are permanent, death, taxes, so live long enough get one of these under your butt.:pepper:

Back