Question for Jimmy Price (early-style Mk 1 rear?)

Hi,

I am still a couple of years out from buying my Superformance Mk 1 GT40. I am partial to the 1965-1966 look, meaning Mk 1 with Halibrands, and fitted with the intermediate-width rear end.

Most GT40 replicas (including the Superformance Mk 1) are fitted with the later-style (1967-on) rear end which had two round taillights. The look I'm after is what appears in the following images:

GT40Passing.jpg

FordFranceGT40.jpg

1042-5.jpg

I believe this is known as the "FIA" rear end, although I don't know why?

Note that there is a letter-box opening above the exhausts, where a UK number plate would be mounted; this opening is blocked in the photos above but can clearly be seen here:

1049-5.jpg

I know Jimmy Price monitors this forum occasionally. Jimmy--any chance you might put this alternative rear end into production? It seems as though only the rear panel of the rear end would have to be changed, so it would be (relatively) easy to tool up for it?

Note that the early rear end uses different taillights from the Mk II currently offered.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Mike, We can offer the 4 light rear as an option if our dealers request them We also have all three width rear clams for the MK1 Regards Jim

Jimmy--that's great to hear. I'll be looking for an intermediate-width four-taillight Mk 1 in a couple of years. :)

When I asked the question to the Superformance rep at the Monterey Historics Races, I got a blank stare...he was apparently only aware of a single clamshell available for the Mk 1.

Is there any cost delta between the three treatments?

Mike, There is a upcost on the extra wide rear (amortization of plug and mould costs over a much lower offtake) and we have not yet costed the four light rear yet as no one has ordered one. Regards Jim

Back