917 engines and gearboxes

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
A few years back I used to visit LA, on a regular basis, and bought loads of 917 spares (that could be carried as hand luggage) back to the UK
for a restoration of a David Piper car - being done at Adams McAll Engineering nearby in High Wycombe.
There was a bunch (I think five) of these 917 engines, plus however many gearboxes I don't know, all new and shrink wrapped on shelves, at Vasek Polak before Vasek died. They then seemingly, and mysteriously, dissapeared and were found again about 2 years ago, were restored to the Polak estate, and were then sold at auction. I was 'invited' to bid ( I don't know why) but the upset price needed another 'Italian Job' to buy just one engine. My hopes of building a pukker replica 917 (not a look-a-like) evaporated and went out the window.

A colleague of mine here in Seattle bought one complete un-run 917 engine from the estate - purchased directly without any auction process, I think as somewhat of a favor due to a long standing relationship going back to the 70's. I'm not sure if this one was one of the five you mention above. It was purchased as a second spare for a reasonable price. I'm looking forward to hearing/seeing it run although after all those years it will be torn down for inspection prior to ever turning it over - might be a while!

I contacted the current owner of the Vasek Polack engines that were auctioned about 5 months ago to see if they were for sale or would be marketed anytime soon. No such luck, not for sale.

Back