Childhood Fantasy

Hello, all. I am new to the forum and new to life sized GT40s. As a kid, my aunt and uncle gave me a model GT40 (Corgi, I think). I set on my dresser and I played with it along with other cars, but it was always the favorite. I currently drive a Porsche Cayman S, and while it's a fantastic car, I am looking for something that stands out. (The Cayman will likely migrate from my weekend car to be my daily driver. I had been coming the classifieds for "special" Porsches, but in the end, a modern Porsche is very similar to most of what's "realistically" available. I then started looking at Ferraris and Lambos and Maseratis and always found myself drawn to the late 60s early 70s. Again, anything worth owning was into the upper $100s and beyond. A Superformance add caught my eye, and they make a compelling case for their "continuoation" cars. Early investigation looks like I could get into one of these fitted with an engine and transaxle somewhere under $100,000. I could upgrade the powerplant later as I feel necessary.

I am handy, but do not have the time or the skill to construct a car from a box of parts. I am looking for a roller and any advice as to who offers the best "value" in a roller would be happily received.

Since the Summer is ending, I may have to put this on hold until May when I can attend the Carlisle show and see some of these fine cars in person. Any vendors out there with real cars to see, I would be glad to get a PM and I can Drive/fly out to take a look. Thanks.

Dave

David,

Welcome to the forum.

Amazing amount of information at this site, and others willing to assist in your questions.

First off, seek out a GT40 that you fit in. Some have more room than others. Some are very close to the original look and finish. But, you have to fit in it and be somewhat comfortable. So you will need to visit a few mgfs or private owners that could assist you in fitting you in the car. From there, its just a wallet/money thing.......ugh.

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Welcome Dave,
You will find this crowd to be a wealth of information.

Back