Glad to find you ! My Gramp's old T70 SL71/19

I didn't know much about the T70 until the current owner (very nice man)sent pictures of my grandfather's (Tony Sargeant) old Lola which has been rebuilt etc by Lomac in USA. Being a car fan I was amazed to see that a family member had owner and raced a car so mad and bad ! the car is surely the most beautiful ever made? anyway enjoy the pics, the restro job is mind blowing.

Attachments

• !!HD_Motorace_Lola_T70_Brands_14jul66_1st!.jpg
    !!HD_Motorace_Lola_T70_Brands_14jul66_1st!.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 885
  • IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 935
  • Untitled-32.jpg
    Untitled-32.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 902
  • racing grandad.jpg
    racing grandad.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 900
  • Tony_Sargeants_Lola_T70_after_flight_St_Jovite_-_sep66.jpg
    Tony_Sargeants_Lola_T70_after_flight_St_Jovite_-_sep66.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 916
  • lola t70 1 goodcopy.jpg
    lola t70 1 goodcopy.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 943
Airscratcher, I was at Mont Tremblant when this car flipped. I remember the driver saying that he moved his head from side to side so the pavement won't rub through his helmet while trveling down the track up-side-down. If I remember correctly, there was another T70 that flipped. The bent roll bar is the give away. I've never seen a roll bar bent in that direction since.

Fantastic, my Grandad wasn't driving the car, he lent the car his friend Hugh Dibley who flew it from Jersey to Canada, then wrecked it !!

Yes No.53 is the same car, the above pics are all SL71/19 crash n'all. The car was originally Red, then the car was sprayed Dark Blue for the film 'day of the champions' which was never made as Steve McQueen fell out with the producer or similar. The car was then put back to Red I think before it was crashed.
the bizarre thing which my grandfather doesn't understand is why the painting he commissioned (above) has his roll bar at a 45degree angle ? He has only just noticed! As for the whereabouts of this car , I think it is not my place to say who owns and location.

It is not black, it is very dark green. The plexi is also tinted Coke bottle green. Very attractive. It belongs to Fred Larsen. He posted this info on the Lola Forum so I would imagine it is OK to post here. We rebuilt the Hewland LG500 for it 2 years ago. It is a beautiful car in person.

Keith

Thanks for the link Rick. I was in the Paddock Bend grandstand for that one! What a race........ and what a time capsule - not a sponsors sticker to be seen apart from BOAC Speedbird - and David Piper STILL with no hair....:D

Great days.

I'll tell you what though, half those drivers would have been having a 'swifty' in the Kentagon bar before the race....;)

Hey Lola Crew!,
I've just landed from USA into UK and had to write about meeting / hearing / feeling (!) a real Mark II Lola (Spyder)and a Mk3 Lola. How can words describe the presence these cars have? Impossible. I went for a 1000 meter drive in the MkII (not me driving unfortunately) and my face hurt from the constant grin plastered across it.:)
I own a loud rally spec Evo Integrale so thought I understood what loud was! Oh no, I nearly fell over from the pure agressivness of the engine note. That split moment I heard the engine fire up from the Mk2 will stay with me to the GRAVE ! The smell from the exhausts was addictive! He's got the car so sorted with bhp around 600 and torque not far off that figure too. Mind bending power.

The Mk3 was another beast entirely, this car I viewed, touched etc (your getting the theme!) has a big block 7 litre (+?) beast squeezed in. The engine note was so different and just a enjoyable.
With cars like that in the world there must be a heaven? I will post pictures vsoon.
I took loads of pictures of the bodywork for our South African sculpter/engineer/crazy devoted chap, so can I have your PM?

I took loads of pictures of the bodywork for our South African sculpter/engineer/crazy devoted chap, so can I have your PM?

Cheers airscratcher, I take it thats me?

my e mail is

fballinger @ oddy.co.za

I look forward to seeing the pics!:D

With a story like yours, the family connection and all, you just have to build / buy a spyder for yourself?

Fred W B

Cheers Fred, your the talented chap I meant!
I'II send pics to your email as I'm not sure the owner(Fred) would want the location of his cars shown all over the internet !? (some horrible people out there that would surely plan a raid!)
I have attached picys that dont give much away and concentate on car for the 'lola crew'!
Oh and yes, lets just say I'm actively working on the concept of owning a Lola Mk2 Spyder ! This as you can imagine is my number one priority in life, as I dont have kids yet !

Back