Ross is back

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Yes it's true and according to Russ I've been conspicuous by my absence.He chased me up via email and lied to my vanity enough to convince me to come back. I copped some flack over statements I made and thought it prudent to get out for a while.I have quite a story to tell of events at the last meeting which I will document in the appropriate sections. It's been a heck of a year for me and the race car with hardly a spare moment.As Russ pointed out there are a lot of forum members who follow my exploits and I can only apologize for my lack of consideration.Anyway I aim to stay away from any emotional debate. I was accused of just being a club racer, well this is not correct as I hold a CAMS (NC) national circuit license and race in the Victorian State Championship, so I am 1 step from an International license.Of course people who critisize are always a minority and I should remember this.
On a lighter note remember Vern Schuppan who was driving the GT40 at the Australian Grand Prix this year and wrecked it, well he cleaned up a Lotus 23 and put the driver in hospital for some time.Word is the Porsche fraternity wouldn't let him drive their cars due to his aggressive driving.

Ross

Hello Ross,

I think you made your exit as I made my entrance. I'm hoping you can fill me in as well as to the history of the car I just bought.

It is RL's old race chassis from the old RF days. I guess you know the one?

Welcome back Ross. Keep us up to date with your racing exploits please as I, and no doubt many others really do enjoy hearing about how you and the car performed, any changes and mods you have bene making etc. I am hoping to bring my son along to see you race one day too. it will be a huge thrill for both of us.

Regards

Jack

Malcolm

Supporter
"I was accused of just being a club racer....."

Poor form for the accuser in my books. You are out there racing whilst most here can't race/won't race at any level or risk their pride and joy on track days. We need all people to make an interesting world but you race your 40, we need you here telling us about it. My exploits aren't even in a 40 but I get encouraged to write about it. It's fun living life to the full. Keep doing it and tell us about your experiences.

Ross, I enjoyed reading /watching your exploits and had wondered where you had gone. Very much a welcome back. I for one would love to be able to do some motor racing in any form, better still in a 40 (although getting a bit old to start!!) so getting the info from you is almost as good. keep it coming and don't listen to the jealous "I Am's" that invariably spoil it for anyone with the drive to do what others wish they could do. (Does that make sense?!) Good to have you back Ross.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
See that Ross!
Everybody loves you:pepper: Now you've got to deliver on those updates;)

No pressure though, we're prepared to wait til you've had your breakfast:lol:

Good to have you back.

Cheers

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
It's a double celebration day for Aussie lovers.
Ross is back and the Kylie Minogue exhibition opens in the Glasgow Art Galleries.;)

'Good to see you.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Welcome Back Ross!

BTW - So what's so bad about "Club Racers" anyway? Must mean something else on the other side of the pond. Here in the states we have SCCA Club Racing which is amature wheel-2-wheel competition. Simply because it's amature does not mean that the competition is any less fierce than SCCA Pro Racing.

Well let's get the show on the road... I'm ready to read more of your chronicals! :)

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
yes "club racing" has a different meaning here in OZ Randy. Clubs run sprint meetings where cars are grouped by type and power and usually do a standing lap plus 3 timed laps. Car with lowest lap time wins. It's not my definition of racing but some do insist on calling it that. Another club run event is a kind of relay, where a group of cars in a team transfer a ribbon to another car.Only the car with the ribbon can enter the track.The driver nominates a time and must stay within it or loses the lap. The team with the most laps at end of 6hrs or so is deemed the winner. Thanks for all the nice comments, couldn't see me staying away for long, however my business seems to have picked up since I've been away mmm I don't want that to change. Russ I may be having a long breakfast.
Ross

Welcome back Ross... and what's wrong with club racing anyway??? ;)

Came across your vid on YouTube last week. Great viewing all round, especially the way you swamped the cars on the start.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Welcome back Ross... and what's wrong with club racing anyway??? ;)

Came across your vid on YouTube last week. Great viewing all round, especially the way you swamped the cars on the start.

There's nothing wrong with club racing. It's where a lot of guys cut their teeth, learn the basics of car control and for many that's as far as they want to go. It's good to see club racers out there actually driving their cars in anger. As opposed to the polish it and leave it in the garage brigade. Here in NZ we have "pursuit sprints" with two evenly matched cars racing over three laps at the same time, a good way to learn wheel to wheel with only the other car to worry about.

The point is that the term "club racer" was used by someone else to denigrate Ross' efforts.

Racing seriously in the State Championship at any level is a quantum leap in preparation, investment of time and money, and dedication to the cause, compared to club racing. And Ross has documented his trials and tribulations and developments and modifications of the car for us. And sparked some very interesting technical threads.

With more to come no doubt.

Cheers

Keith

Which tosser accused you of being a "club racer" in a derogatory tone?

I'll have 'em sorted :mad:

Club racing is the absolute rock upon which ALL motorsport is dependent. Don't let 'em diss you mate - you have more supporters on here than you realise.....

Keep on keeping on...:)

Welcome back Ross. Even the P---che guys were missing you. Well, not really, but you can see that many on this Forum follow your adventures.

Now that you're back, how does an oldie like you (you must be nearly my age) climb in and out of your GT40 with your roll cage bars and all?

Anyway, we're glad you haven't disappeared to that great race track in the sky. And don't worry about copping flak. You are out there mixing it on the track, and have the right to say whatever you like. 40 drivers have balls, anyway.

Dalton

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Yes Russ has described my situation in his final paragraph. I spend all my resources, including time and money on servicing, repairing and developing the car. We have the 'pursuit sprints' here in OZ too Russ I think they call it 'Super Sprints' but I may be wrong. I had the GT40 up against a formula ford at Calder Park (before I started racing it), great fun. As Russ describes I cut my teeth and honed my skills doing sprints while driving a 240z Datsun. I then upgraded my license and raced the 240z in the State Championship for 2 years, so when I switched to racing the GT40 the transition was much easier to handle. I never look down on club racers doing sprints as I believe you can get as much enjoyment ( if not more) out of improving your car and your driving, as a racer who wins a race.

Ross

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
No problem James, I'm a bit behind actually as I have reports with some pictures to post, might be able to get some up tonight. You'll get a laugh, as some of the photos reflect damage through my stupidity in the workshop, I do a lot of that reflecting where you stand back and go " Now why did I do that? " Do you drink a lot of cordial or something? My sense of humour on your closer (cordially) which incidentally is great.

Ross

Back