Bitter Sweet Phillip Island Race meeting 1,2 Sept

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
The gap between the previous race meeting at Sandown and this one at Phillip Island was 5 weeks so I decided to bite the bullet and modify the front suspension to hopefully lighten the incredibly heavy steering, while cornering at race speeds.This heavy steering on my car has been well documented by video and hopefully observed by most of the forum members.So we don't get bogged down here with detail, I'll document the suspension changes in the suspension section of the forum.
As is normal the changes were completed only 2 days before the meeting and I had to purchase 2 Alloy road wheels. So the only test the car got was a few laps around my factory block late on the Thursday night. However that test bought a fairly large smile to my face as the car was much lighter in the steering even when reversing. I did come down from that high a little when I realized the front tyre pressures were at 40 psi though. After setting them at their usual 23psi I was still impressed. I was not able to attend Friday practice which meant it would be straight into Qualifying on Sat morning, something that wouldn't normally trouble me but with a lot of unknowns as there were, doubts were lingering.
Managed to get on the road to the Island reasonably early and arrived at 8:45am.I was confident the car wouldn't require scrutineering as it is under the CAMS targetted scheme. Anyway I found my garage which was in an area under construction and only one way in and out. Not only that but a well known Pors_ _ _ ( see I nearly said it) Identity had backed his truck up to this area denying us paying customers some flexibility.
With all pressures checked and fluids including the oil (remember that one) it was off to the form up grid for qualifying.
I used the time before we were let out to warm the engine which took ages and I thought too much fuel going in during this time something I'll have to check.Just before the go we got the oil all over the track from start line to Southern loop (yep heard that before).
So out we go and it's obvious the plugs are fouled and I would have to wait a lap or 2 for it to clear.However on the 2nd lap a more ominous warning was the oil light gleaming after the sweeping corners. Now a normal person would pull in and check but no I was so full of anticipation to check the steering everything went into the 'It'll be ok' basket.Anyway the light was going out and oil pressure returning after the corner.There you go, you know what I'm about to tell you, don't you.I built up speed on the 3rd lap after the plugs cleared and after a long corner and far too much time with the light on the bearings shouted no more and relieved themselves from their duty.I heard an unusual noise, watched the oil pressure fall way too far and knew it was all over.Buttoned off and crawled back to the pits.
Ok so if we forget about the destroyed motor (detail to come in the engine section) what was the handling like? Well I know it was only a brief chance to test at less than racing speeds but I did do a 1min 54sec lap which is getting there and the steering was great.I could turn a tighter radius in the corners without the 2 handed technique and Lukey Heights so much better. I will make time at every corner now. I remember a (Por---) at Southern loop I reckon he was at the limit before o'steer and I tightend my line and drove up the inside (oh so sweet).So that's the end of the Championship for the year but I have a meeting at Winton in 3 weeks that I am working like mad to have a motor back in for. It's a tight track and the improved handling will show up there too.Wish me luck it's night and day work again until 2 days before no doubt.

Ross

Ross,

We all thought you had been abduted by aliens, good too see you back in circulation, albiet with some mixed news, do you run a dry sump ? If not with your improvred handling I suggest it is now a must.

Iain

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Hi Iain
Yes I do run a dry sump. I am the idiot that didn't put enough oil in.Knew I'd have to own up sooner or later. Ask me what it's like to bugger an $1800 Crower Crank and 2 top spec Crower rods. I've been setting up a new workshop lately so life's been busy.Incidently exactly what happens when an alien abdutes you.NB! Ross still has that quirky sense of humour.

Ross

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Hi Paolo
I know you lust for pictures but there is no one around my factory block at night.Even so I give it 3 or 4 laps and then put the car away before the Police arrive.Mind you the detailing guy (Jason) who lives in his factory on the block reckons I was giving it to it that night.He is right about that! I was so impressed with the steering lightness I was eager to press on, pity the motor had a different Idea on the Saturday at race meeting.

Ross

Good to have you back, Ross.

When's your next meet? Are you going to chase more power or will this be a bottom end only rebuild? Looking forward to more feedback about your steering (excuse the rather weak pun).

While the aliens have their way with you in the space ship, their relatives suck oil out of your race car's oil reservoir.

I'm a bit worried about the way you're scattering your car all over the Forum, Ross. Steering in one section (good news), racing performance report in another section (going well), motor in another section (not going well). All interesting, though.

Dalton

Malcolm

Supporter
Accu sump be helpful? It's another way to burn money if nothing else! Hope the next engine is strong, now going to see what you did on suspension changes.

Back