SPF Wide Rear Shell?

Any SPF MK1's out there yet with the wider (1075) rear shell? I was told over a year ago that they were coming but have not heard or seen any info yet.

Brian

I saw one this morning at Anthem Motors in AZ! It was hanging from the ceiling waiting completion of the car. It looks great!

I'll try to get some pics

Jeff,

That would be great, I would really appreciate some pics.
I know that it sounds stupid but I have been holding off ordering one until I see pics of the wider rear. None of the other companies except ERA have it right and I want to see if SPF gets it correct. Thanks again

Brian

Brian,

I stopped by this morning to get some pics but they had the clam shell wrapped up and on the top of a pallet rack. I'm going back tomorrow so I'll ask if they can send me some photos.

My Dad did get some photos of the rest of the car which has a Shelby GT500 engine and Ford GT transaxle in it! The engine is just mocked up in the chassis. Thats going to be a fun car!

Jeff,

That would be great, I would really appreciate some pics.
I know that it sounds stupid but I have been holding off ordering one until I see pics of the wider rear. None of the other companies except ERA have it right and I want to see if SPF gets it correct. Thanks again

Brian

What are you looking for. I'm getting ready to do a set on a stock MK1 tail. I've been staring at the Wyer poster of 1075 for about 5 years. The opening is lower than the front which is usually an automotive no no but I guess that's "right"

I am planning on doing a 1075 car (gulf colors). I know that several have been made but not with the wider rear which is what I really want. I have been told by SPF dealers that they needed at least 5 orders before they would make them and so I put my order on hold because I want to see it first. I would also like them to make the front to match the 1075 car also (it had wider front fenders also) but that is not as important as the rear. I know that ERA went to the trouble of widening the front fenders like the original 1075 and would love it if SPF did the same but for now I would settle on the wider rear clam.

Brian

charlie c

Lifetime Supporter
A - Can the Ricardo trans from the '05 Ford GT REALLY be used in an SPF chassis?!!? For some reason I thought this was not an option on any 40? What about in RCR's? How 'bout it, Fran? I know you are putting a Ricardo in that SL coupe, right?

B - Isn't part of the problem with full Gulf-width rear clam turn out to be finding DOT tires (or any tires) to fill the wheelwells? I thought Gulf-width meant ri-donk-ulous 15-inch rear wheels or some such wonderful insanity? And that only Fran has solved the problem, with longer halfshafts and widened rear geometry to go with the fat clam?

... I saw the non-Gulf-rear / Gulf-painted SPF mkI at the Ford GT Rally II, and it looked deeeeeee-licious....

B - Isn't part of the problem with full Gulf-width rear clam turn out to be finding DOT tires (or any tires) to fill the wheelwells? I thought Gulf-width meant ri-donk-ulous 15-inch rear wheels or some such wonderful insanity? And that only Fran has solved the problem, with longer halfshafts and widened rear geometry to go with the fat clam?

... I saw the non-Gulf-rear / Gulf-painted SPF mkI at the Ford GT Rally II, and it looked deeeeeee-licious....

I plan on running the 15"x14" rear rims with Avon tires for the track. I saw the SPF Gulf car in Monterey and it looked very nice but had the narrower rear. If they are making the wider rear, I would really like to see some pictures!

Brian

Brian
I am not completely ready with my rear decklid, I am having a mold made from an original, but not knowing your timing I can tell you if you have some time I may have some pieces available.
I have Avons on 15 X 14" wide wheels, and they fit nicely. Here are a few photos of the original piece I am copying.
Cheers
Phil

Attachments

• New Body1.jpg
    New Body1.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,099
  • New body2.jpg
    New body2.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 1,080
  • New Body 5.jpg
    New Body 5.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,087
That is the EXACT rear shell I am looking for! Is this going to be for an SPF car?
I would be very interested in "extra" parts. As for my time table, it all depends on the rear shell. I am prepared to place an order as soon as I see "the correct" rear shell. The one you posted is the one I am looking for. Thanks for posting and please keep me updated.

PS-where did you find your wheels? SPF has told me they do not offer them in 14" widths. Please tell!

Brian

Brian:
I will definitely keep you posted as to progress, I need to go over and see how things are progressing, probably in the next couple of weeks.
As for the wheels I kind of fell upon them by chance, and they were almost exactly the same backspacing as original Gulf spec BRM wheels....maybe 1/8" off, so I proceeded to fab adapters front and rear to do the mounting. So far I have the rears mounted and the fit is really nice. The fronts should be on the chassis in the next week or so as soon as I get some pieces in and machine them to fit.
I would contact Vintage wheels as they sell the replica BRM wheel and you probably could get them widened to suit your purposes.
If you need some dimensions for the rear deck PM me and I can supply them.
Here is a photo of my rear setup.
The wheels I am using are 15 X 10 fronts and 15 X 14 rears and were previously fitted to a March chassis. They are a six pin drive like original, but the BC is different so we made adapters and fitted them as I didn't want to compromise the wheel dimensions.
Cheers
Phil

Attachments

• PICT0116.jpg
    PICT0116.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 1,049
Steve, I don't know what the motivation is for the 5.4. Maybe just to do something different? I heard the project may be for sale if anyone is interested.

Steve, I don't know what the motivation is for the 5.4. Maybe just to do something different? I heard the project may be for sale if anyone is interested.

So, what are the particulars of this car? If this is an SPF, chassis #? Specs from factory? Tranny, etc. How far into the build are you? I could be interested...Send me a PM

Ron,

It is an SPF Chassis, not mine however. It is being built at a shop near my house.

The engine is a Supercharged 5.4 from a GT 500, the trans is a Ricardo from a new Ford GT.

Back