Did Lance wreck his SPF 40?

Heard from a reliable source yesterday that Lance (owner of SPF) wrecked his SPF 40 on an on ramp. As usual, I will disavow any further knowledge of this if found to be untrue.

Mike:eek:

I was under the assumption that Lance's Mk I was going to SEMA this year. Obviously, Lance knows the truth to this - hopefully everything is OK.

Chris

Steve Briscoe

Lifetime Supporter
If it is wrecked, I wish him the very best. Having been around performance machines many years, it's really just a matter of time before everyone has a close call or more. After things settle, it would be helpful to understand the procedures for repair damage and how SPF can assist. They're great cars and it seems there's always a way to get back on the road.

Have a good weekend-
Steve

Confirmed yes - Talked to the guys in the SPF booth yesterday at Coronado who confirmed he missed a shift and went from 3rd to 2nd, locked the rear, got rammed from behind and was pushed into someone else T-bone style. Car was destroyed, up to the windshield frame, but the tub did its job. Car is a write-off. Drive train was fine and is being installed into a new black Mk II that was on display to become his new car. Also had his new Gulf-livery Mk I on display.

Um, are you saying that if you make a mistake and downshift into 2nd that you can lock the rear end? Or did you mean something else?

Mike

Keith

3rd to 2nd and locked up? That would worry me a bit unless he had quite a few 000 revs on the clock at the time....:confused:

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
The way I read it from Lee's description he was on an upchange from 3rd to 4th but got 2nd instead. The ZF's have a dogleg first, right? Then 3 to 4 is across the gate. Pushed it out of 3rd and missed the gate, slamming it straight into 2nd instead. To do that may have been trying to change in a real hurry possibly at a highish speed. Not the best for motor or trans or the rest of the car by the sound of it. Glad reports say he's OK.

Cheers

Keith

The way I read it from Lee's description he was on an upchange from 3rd to 4th but got 2nd instead. The ZF's have a dogleg first, right? Then 3 to 4 is across the gate. Pushed it out of 3rd and missed the gate, slamming it straight into 2nd instead.
Cheers

Ouch..... :eek:

I saw Lance at the Coronado Vintage races this weekend and he confirmed the story about missing the downshift, he was ok as was his passenger. The car will probably be rebuilt as a track car.
Dave

O.K. Thanks for clearing that up. I would say that Lance is a very, very lucky man indeed. Its good to know that the SPF 40 can take such a hit and have the passengers walk away unhurt.

Mike

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Of course an SPF 40 will protect you, but if you spend a lot time in the sun you are better off with an SPF 80!

Glad to hear Lance is OK, how about some pictures? Sort of a "what not to do" gallery......

Rick

The pictures would provide some sort of structural strength statement, and how crush zones hold up in a collision. If the crash was a frontal, I would like to see how far back the wheels/tires were forced back and if they came into contact with the fuel tanks on either side of the car....and what the footbox inside the car looked like.

Or maybe these pictures would form a bad impression on a suspecting buyer, to a point it would eliminate a potential sale(???).

no sane person would drive one of these things in the first place, traffic scares the crap out of me when I am driving my little road hazard. High risk ,high reward sort of thing.

Back