Dirt & Debris in headlight housing

There is somewhat of a rough fit of the headlight in our SPF GT-40 resulting in dust and sand under the lexan (?) light cover. That kinda stuff tends to keep me up at night, so I found a fix.

Ace Hardware sells a product called Pile Seal, it's an adhesive backed felt like strip. I used 3/16" (W) x 1/4" (T) and applied it to the glass headlight thus making it much more difficult for foreign objects to make their way into the housing.

I've got around 50 mi. on the car since the addition of the Pile Seal and see no signs of intrusion!

I'll attach a photo of the headlight post Pile Seal and one of the nose off the car.

Attachments

• Headlight Resize 1.jpg
    Headlight Resize 1.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 462
  • Front clip removed resize.jpg
    Front clip removed resize.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 461

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Jeff,
Good thinking.
If I am interpreting your problem correctly you have no bulkhead panel in your wheel arch and the debris is being thrown directly onto the back of your head light.
There would be less wear on your light fittings if you fitted these shown in this picture.
As it were : belt and suspenders.

Attachments

• GT40 Light Bulkhead Panels etc.jpg
    GT40 Light Bulkhead Panels etc.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 457

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Jeff..Good idea...I'll do same on 2125

James...SPF does use a rear bulkhead so debris getting in somewhere else or through minor chinks?

The car does have the bulkheads (access covers) fitted. I may be mistaken but I think the inlets intended for front brake cooling are picking up sand/dirt from the road surface and its making its way to the back of the headlight.

Update...

After last weekend at the track there has been some debris that has made it past the pile seal. I'd estimate it kept out approximately 90% of what would have otherwise accumulated .

Back