"Must see" motorsport events worldwide

I am lucky that I have been able to see some motor sport in various parts of the world, mostly while on business trips. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.gt40s.com/forum/ /><o:p></o:p>[/FONT]

[FONT=/><o:p></o:p>
</st1:country-region> Grand Prix<o:p></o:p>[/font]<o:p></o:p>[/font]
[FONT=/><o:p></o:p>
</st1:country-region> Grand Prix<o:p></o:p>[/font]<font face=" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p><FONT face="Courier New"> </o:p>
<FONT face="Courier New">Still have a lot I want to see though, so I made a list, excluding South African events. The entries with place and date are what I have done already. What "must sees" am I missing? <o:p></o:p>
<FONT face="Courier New">Any Grand Prix - Kyalami 1975 <o:p></o:p>
<FONT face="Courier New"><?xml:namespace prefix = st1 /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Monaco</st1:place></st1:country-region> Grand Prix<o:p></o:p>
<FONT face="Courier New">Goodwood Festival of Speed - 2005<o:p></o:p>
<FONT face="Courier New">Goodwood Revival<o:p></o:p>
<FONT face="Courier New">Silverstone Classic<o:p></o:p>
<FONT face="Courier New">British touring cars - Knockhill 1999 <o:p></o:p>
<FONT face="Courier New">British club race - Knockhill 1999 <o:p></o:p>
<FONT face="Courier New">British hill climb - Harewood 1999 <o:p></o:p>
<FONT face="Courier New">British historic meet - Donnington 1991 <o:p></o:p>
<FONT face="Courier New">British karting meet - 1999 <o:p></o:p>
<FONT face="Courier New">Lemans <o:p></o:p>
<FONT face="Courier New">Lemans Classic <o:p></o:p>
<FONT face="Courier New">Millie Migla Retrospective <o:p></o:p>
<FONT face="Courier New">Drive laps of the old Nurburing - 1991 <o:p></o:p>
<FONT face="Courier New">European club / historic race - Zandvoort 1991 <o:p></o:p>
<FONT face="Courier New">DTM Round<o:p></o:p>
<FONT face="Courier New"><st1:place w:st="on">Macau</st1:place> Historics <o:p></o:p>
<FONT face="Courier New">Asian karting meet - <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Singapore</st1:place></st1:country-region> 1994, Kuala Lumpar 1998 <o:p></o:p>
<FONT face="Courier New">American sprint cars on dirt - <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Houston</st1:place></st1:City> 1994 <o:p></o:p>
<FONT face="Courier New">American club race - <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Houston</st1:place></st1:City> 1994 <o:p></o:p>
<FONT face="Courier New">Bonnivale Salt Flats Speed Week <o:p></o:p>
<FONT face="Courier New"><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Monterey</st1:place></st1:City> historics, Laguna seca<o:p></o:p>
<FONT face="Courier New"><st1:place w:st="on">Pikes Peak</st1:place> <o:p></o:p>
<FONT face="Courier New">Australian V8's at <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Bathurst</st1:place></st1:City> <o:p></o:p>
<FONT face="Courier New">Isle of Man TT (motorcycle) <o:p></o:p>
<FONT face="Courier New">WRC round<o:p></o:p>
<FONT face="Courier New">Paris-Dakar<o:p></o:p>
<FONT face="Courier New">For me, spectating at motorsport events is much more about seeing and hearing the cars themselves, than the actual racing as such. If I had to choose between attending one of the events on my list on either a practice day, when I could wander the pits and paddock, or on race day, but only sit in the stands, I would by far prefer the former. <o:p></o:p>
<FONT face="Courier New">Hence my list did not include Indy 500, or Nascar, as from what I see of these events on TV the fans are kept well away from the cars. Indy also seemed to loose it's lustre when the American openwheelers split into two camps, and I haven't really followed it since then. Is that conflict still going on? <o:p></o:p>
<FONT face="Courier New">Cheers <o:p></o:p>
<FONT face="Courier New">Fred W B<o:p></o:p>

Last edited:
In a period of 4 short weeks in June/July this year I was lucky enough to attend the LeMans 24Hr, the Goodwood Festival of Speed, the MotoGP in Assen, the Motorcycle Historics at Spa, the F1 GP in Silverstone and did laps of the old Nurburgring,... and finally capped it off with a tour of the Prodrive factory near Oxford.

I'm with you about getting close to the cars. There is nothing quite like being in the pits during a major event. Also, my usual for the F1 when it comes to Melbourne is to be amongst the crowd noise and smells on the Saturday (just to take in the atmosphere) then watch the race on TV on Sunday.

Last edited:
I would add the 24 Hours of Daytona and the Indianapolis 500 to your list. Both are events with rich history. They also provide an opportunity to get up close to the action.

Although the split in the Indy cars series is still going on, most of the top teams have moved to the Indy Racing League that sanctions the Indy 500. You have good opportunities to view the cars up close if you go to carbueration day or show up early on race day Sunday.

Back