wiring query...

Hi all -

there are a number of wires behind the dash that I've not identified as yet and wondered if anyone has the answer before I start tracing them back.

There's a group of 5 wires exiting a branch nr steering column:
1 x black with eyelet, looks like an earth
together with
2 x Red/Green with Male 0.25" spades
2 x Red/Brown with Female 0.25" spades

Cheers chaps.

Hi all -

there are a number of wires behind the dash that I've not identified as yet and wondered if anyone has the answer before I start tracing them back.

There's a group of 5 wires exiting a branch nr steering column:
1 x black with eyelet, looks like an earth
together with
2 x Red/Green with Male 0.25" spades
2 x Red/Brown with Female 0.25" spades

Cheers chaps.

Hi Paul,

the harnesses for your car were (unfortunately) made in SA, and outsourced from Camco copied off RF1 harnesses.

it sounds like the voltage stabiliser wires - the earth usually attached to rear speedo mounting and the male / female leads only went one way onto the corresponding terminals on the stabiliser. This was necessary in the cars with Smiths instruments but not the VDO cars.

A current or even RF1 harness tail for the stabiliser would not reach down to the column but there seems to have been many changes in the attempts to copy

I hope that helps, regards Paul

Paul / Huw, thanks...

I'd wondered if that was the case as the build manual shows an item (little white rectangular lump) up behind the speedo, anyone have price and availability - local or overseas.

Strangely enough it struck me as odd that manual shows the speedo above the column and the rev counter on the passenger side. Has anyone adopted this format? - I've only ever seen (or at least registered seeing) the tacho above the column.

On another note, I know you can provide a dash dimmer switch from Aus Paul but I was hoping to source locally if poss. I believe you used a Toyota part Huw, can you remember the year and model donor vehicle? Supra I think it was, or does anyone have any other suggestions/solutions - Thanks.

Hi Paul,
I've got the speedo above the column and the tachometer on the passenger side as the wiring wasn't long enough on my loom to swap them around.

Jerry

I am not sure , but i seem to remember some posts about having the speedo in front of the driver for Aussie rules to register for the road.

Yes used a toyota supra 3 stage dimmer switch, but you are probably better to use the rf item as mine envolved altering the loom as it only has a 2 pin system and the loom has a three pin connector so they obviously use a different one.

ref the speedo ,I thought it was a uk registration requirement and after sva it could be swapped
The voltage stabaliser is easily available from loads of uk sources but if you get the dimmer from rf they might supply it

Back