917 at Mission Raceway

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Paolo,

I don't know about early MK1's, but in "la Ronde Infernale" or one of those other films, you can see the mechanics remove the spare from under the nostril panel, bounce it off the ground and reinstall it under the panel during a pit stop. I may be confusing the years as it might be footage of '66 with a MKII but it's in a clip somewhere. Check THIS THREAD for the '69links.

This is hearsay on my part but I think I remember reading somewhere on the forum here that procedure was required by the FIA.

The MKIIb's had their spares mounted in the rear adjacent to the transmission with the FIA luggage space on the opposite side. The spares are clearly visible in photos showing the rear panel. THIS is an excellent site for pictures.

is this a back of mk2 or mk2b?

Here seems to have 2 lagguage metal boxes.

Attachments

• 66lm06z%20Bianchi-Andretti%20Ford%20MkII.jpg
    66lm06z%20Bianchi-Andretti%20Ford%20MkII.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 423

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
That's a Mk 2A, Paolo. I'm not positive, but it looks like 1031, driven by Andretti/Bianchi at Le Mans in 1966. Can anyone confirm?

The original version of the Mk 2 (later known as the 2A) had two luggage boxes at the rear; the spare tire and oil tank were located at the front of the car. It wasn't until Sebring 1967 when a few of the Mk 2s moved one of those luggage boxes from the rear of the car to the left side of the cabin, allowing the spare tire to be moved to the left rear of the car. Also relocated was the (smaller) oil tank, now just to the rear of the fuel pumps at the left side of the engine. A slightly larger coolant radiator was fitted to the 2B, offsetting the lack of cooling due to the lower volume of oil in the tank.

Best,

T.

Back