ZF reverse light switch

There appears to be a reverse light switch that screws into the selecter cover of the ZF gearbox.

Has anyone information on the source, any other car it may be fitted to, or have one available.

Thanks

Steve

Mike Trusty

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
It is used on the Pantera.
Any of the major Pantera parts vendors should be able to help you.

Be sure to seal the little switch housing to prevent water entering. If you don't the plunger will stick in the on position after the plunger shaft corrodes.

The supply of original Pantera backup light switches dried up a little while ago, and in desperation the vendors substituted something else, which mechanically worked just as well. However, it required a special connector to hook it up electrically, and of course they were selling just the switch, but not the corresponding connector!

I believe the situation has been resolved with the original switch now back in production. (It never ceases to amaze me that a given Pantera part is usually only out of production for a few months before one of the Pantera vendors will tool up to reproduce it, or buy a batch from the OEM manufacturer who still has the original tooling).

The switch's function is quite simple--it just has a plunger which is acted upon by the shift linkage inside the shifter box. The switch is threaded into the cover, and secured in place with a locknut; threading the switch in or out alters the engagement. Thread it in too far, and the switch will prevent the linkage from going in reverse; too little, and the switch won't close and the lights won't illuminate.

I can't remember for sure, but I *think* Bobby Byars of Precision Performance is the guy who had a new stack of backup light switches. www.precisionperformance.com gives you all their contact info. When you give him a call, tell him I sent ya! :)

Ask him if he has the 'new-style' or 'old-style' switches. If he only has the new ones, make sure he can supply the corresponding connector for the car's wiring harness. Otherwise, keep looking....

Back