Brett

I placed mine just inside the drivers door, close to cable runs etc

Steve

Attachments

• Cut off switch.jpg
    Cut off switch.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 1,130
Brett,

Mine used to be raced so it's on the offside front near the windscreen..... I do worry about someone turning it off when I am at traffic lights but in reality I doubt if they would know what it did (unless they read the power turn off sticker...).

Thats when you come out of the car with a Mag-Light wrapped with lead to see if the stupid person needs some help thinking any further about other ill thoughts.

Malcolm

Supporter
Depends what you want the switch for. If you just want a kill switch for the sake of it/security then choose your spot to suit your whim, but if you want it to function as they are designed and intended (ie emergency use item), make sure you put it where you can reach it in the car when strapped in tightly. Mine is in front of the gear lever on a panel I made at the base of the dash leg.

Externally to comply with MSA Blue Book regulations it should be on the front clip at the base of the windscreen in front of the driver. This is a pain to fit but can be done. Many however have it in the cut out just behind the drivers door on the side of the car. Great right up to when you slide into a tyre wall and it cannot be reached by a marshal/corner worker whilst you are trapped in the car. At least if you flip the car and it is still a relevant issue, the base of the windscreen stands more of a chance to be accessible by marshals/corner workers.

Oh and when you do fit it or get someone else to fit it for you, test it works. I know of a story when someone had a switch "professionally" fitted and assumed it worked. It was tested one day and found to do nothing that killed the engine. Stopped the engine starting but didn't kill it. It is a kill switch after all. But good old Paul Thompson had it sorted for dispondant car owner soon after. But why pay twice?

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Brett

Just a thought as you are going SVA I believe there is something in the book that says the switch should not be able to be turned off by the driver whilst seated

Now I could be wrong and I thought that it was stupid at the time but that's probably why it stuck in my mind

Ian

No good for racing, but to disable the car quickly and easily, mine's hidden in the centre console. Dual pole type that DOES kill the engine, if it's running.

Attachments

• Kill Switch.JPG
    Kill Switch.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 935

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Mine is adjacent to /above the battery in the left area of the engine bay and accessible to the outside by reaching in through the left lower air intake. Additionally it is also (bowden) cable operated from the drivers seat - trip only. To reconnect it
means manually turning it which resets the cable trip.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I placed mine just under the key where the 12 volts outlet was located, also moved my dry-cell rechargeable battery to the front in the passenger foot-well.

Under the front clip I put a Bakelite though the firewall fitting that comes off the battery + for charging and jump starting.

Attachments

• IMG_8902.jpg
    IMG_8902.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 840
  • IMG_8903.jpg
    IMG_8903.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 792
  • IMG_8905.jpg
    IMG_8905.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 760

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
On my road-going DRB, I placed the switch (marine type with removeable key) on the rear bulkhead, just inside the passenger door latch. The DRB has the battery in the engine compartment, just behind the passenger, so this spot for the switch kept the runs of monster cable to a minimum.

I can easily reach it from the driver's seat, & kills everything except the alarm/immobiliser. With the red key removed, it is quite hard to spot the switch body (small black bezel set against black carpet).

Regardless of where you put the switch, it would be very easy to add a Bowden cable setup to flip the switch off from any other remote location.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
My switch is on the centre tunnel very close to my hands on the wheel.I have a cable and hook on RH side in front of the windscreen that operates the switch.
Ross

Maybe Frank Catt and/or Ron and/or others could expand on the specifics on what club rules state regarding the placement of the battery cut-off switch.

If someone is building his car, and gets to the placement of the battery cut-off switch, it would be a bummer to find out when you want to track your car.....that the placement of the switch is not acceptable to the racing organization.

I am definately not sure of the specifics, but I would like to learn about it.

Thanks in advance foryour assistance.

The MSA ( UK MotorSportsAssociation - the governing body ) scrutineers always advise us that they like to see the external electrical kill switch as close to the drivers door opening as possible as this the first place a safety marshal will go to, but as Malcolm says this is only practicable if the car is not stuffed into the safety tyre wall on the drivers side. Likewise, the marshalls do not like high mounted switches which could be inaccessable if the car is inverted, they will not crawl under a car to attempt to find the switch. It seems to be doubly sure that the best solution is an electrically triggered or a pull toggle on both sides of the car would be the best solution, but most are happy just have sufficient to get scrutineering approval on the day. Frank

Malcolm

Supporter
Competitor Safety (Q) page 166 MSA Blue Book 2007 Para 8 reads.....

"External circuit breaker.

The circuit breaker when operated must isolate all electrical circuits with the exception of those that operate fire extinguishers. The triggering system for the circuit breaker on saloons should be situated at the lower part of the windscreen mounting preferrably on the drivers side or below the rear window. On open cars.... (I am not typing that bit in as irrelevant to our cars).

Alternatively on cars of Periods A-F (Note; dates range from 1905-1965 and if you are competing a replica 40, it isn't a period car but you may want it to look period for other purposes) the mounting point may be mounted approximately vertically below the line of scuttle on the drivers side.

The location must be identified by a red spark on a white edged blue triangle (12cm base) and the on and off positions marked clearly."

IMO this is unlikley to be changed for 2008.

Last edited:

Malcolm

Supporter
Car Racing (J) page 274 of MSA blue book 2007 para 20.11.1 reads.....

"Circuit Breakers and ignition components

Be equipped with an externally operated circuit breaker having positive ON-OFF positions clearly marked (Q8 (see above)). An external circuit breaker is not mandatory on open cars of periods A-F but is strongly recommended. An internal ignition switch must be operable by the driver when normally seated irrespective of whether a safety harness is worn or not."

Out of interest 20.11.2 goes on to say no ignition components, coils, cables, or black boxes are to be located in the cockpit area of racing cars.

The blue book rambles on on page 318 for Hill climbing and sprinting para 10.6 as follows.....

"10.6.1 Must be equipped with an ignition cut off switch having positive On-Off positions clearly marked. The ignition cut off system must be operable by the driver when normally seated with seatbelts secured. It must also isolate electric fuel pumps.

10.6.2 is about lighting so I skip that one.

10.6.3 An external circuit breaker to Q8 (see above) is mandatory for all cars except open cars of periods A-F and cars licensed for road use (when it is recommended)."

When it says road use at teh end there, please note that only applies if you compete your car in full road legal condition. If you drive to an event, swap tyres to road illegal tyres you no longer comply with road use conditions.

These are the FIA/MSA competition rules for the UK only and are not mandatory for track days or SVA or for other parts of the world. How individual owners/scrutineers choose to interpret them is down to them. I have always thought that the picture Frank shows is not in compliance with the rules although GTD competition guys run their cars like this and have not suffered at the hands of scrutineers or marshals. It certainly is a better looking solution to the one I actually think is the technically required solution.

Back