transaxel problems

Hi, I'm new on your forum, name is Jeff Leaver. I have a hand built gt-40 style race car that I built over a period of 12 years.It,s to long of a story to get into all the details but you can look at pictures at :
ronkimballstock.com and search under leaver-gt I open tracked the car for about 4 years and it is very fast. Favorite track is thunder hill in willows Ca. I have a 730 HP all aluminum sb chevy motor . I have an RBT trans axel that worked great for about two years .I have had it re-buil at rbt and pantera performance at least three or four times.I am very carefull about rolling on the throttle in first and never dumping the clutch. As I said it worked great for two years and now it last about three track days and is busted. Sorry to run on about this but if any one has any advice it would be great. I beleive that the case is warped and twisted some how and causes the input shaft to flex and vibrate, causing the pilot bushing failure and then the seal starts leaking ? I have dail indicated the bell housing numerous times and it is within .003.

Hi Jeff,
Welcome aboard, might pay to ask your question about the T/Axle on the Transaxle Tech Forum in the Tech section. Tend to think the problem might be caused by that 730hp item in front of it though:) Im sure it will draw some comment, not necessarily all constructive ones either.

Jac Mac

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Hi Jeff,

What do you call busted? Not a leaking seal surely! Have you thought of replacing the pilot bush with a bearing?

Have you read this thread http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-tech-powertrain-transaxles/20804-zf-failure.html?highlight=failure

Torque kills trannies, not HP. What size is your motor?

Good luck with your ZF, you'll need it. Ross Nicol may be able to come up with some positive comments for you.....

Welcome to the forum there are several other good transaxle threads here. You'll find them if you do a search.

Cheers

Back