Fuel Gauge problem

The crossover pipe thread has prompted me to ask if anyone has a solution for a problem that I have.
When at rest the fuel gauge shows I assume correctly say half full, or empty which ever way you want to look at it, but when driving the gague goes above full and stays there. I think that I already know the reason for this which is that the fuel surges to the rear of the tanks where the fuel gague sender unit is and stays there. The tanks do have baffels and obviously does not regulate the surge. Has anyone else had a problem like this and have they found a solution for it?

Re: Fuel Gague problem

Paul,
Do the gauges show less fuel when you slow down or park facing downhill?
If they don't it's not fuel surge.
Because of the shape of the tanks, as you point out, the only reliable measurement is when the car is at rest on level ground - and even then I don't believe them!
To cross over with the fuel balance thread, if you don't have a balance pipe, but do have non-return valves in the pump lines, you will be able to run one tank until it sucks air, then search for a garage with what remains in the other tank.

Tony

Hi Tony

I have not thought to check while going down a long hill though I have had the gague go down while driving but not for any length of time. I did think that it may have been the voltage stabilizer, because when the car is stationary engine ticking over the gauge goes down, so that got changed that for a new one but that did not solve it.
I only have one fuel sender unit in the left hand tank and no ballance pipe. There are no non retun valves in the fuel lines they are connected together via a tee piece to the pump.
I don't trust the gauge either but it is a bit of a drag having to stop to see if you have enough fuel to get to the next gas station.

Regards

Back