GTD wiring loom.

The GTD wiring loom I have, is from the "GTD supercars" days and differs from the looms in my other cars by being made of much thinner wire. I am missing the front (clip) loom which feeds the headlights/sidelight/indicators. I personally wouldn't feel right putting the headlight wattage through wires as thin as this, so am planning on using relays to bring power to the headlights via a more substantial wire. Has anybody used these very thin wires for powering their headlights?
Simon

Simon, what is the gauge of the wire? I've noticed recently on several new harnesses from aftermarket suppliers like Painless and Ron Francis that the wire with insulation looks smaller, but the actual wire gauge is the same. For a halogen headlight, I wouldn't use anything less than 14 gauge (US gauge, not sure how that translates in the UK).

Malcolm

Supporter
Simon

I run the standard GTD headlight loom and have done so without any issues although after 17 years I did get Paul Thompson to revamp all the connections in the head light pods.

Slightly diverting this thread but it may be of interest to you, I am planning to buy ten sets of HID lights (H4) and then to offer some to anyone interested. I need ten sets to get the lumens I want and at the price I want. These don't overload the wiring system and arguably reduce loadings as less wattage required. This may help your concerns.

Simon

I am planning to buy ten sets of HID lights (H4) and then to offer some to anyone interested. I need ten sets to get the lumens I want and at the price I want. These don't overload the wiring system and arguably reduce loadings as less wattage required. This may help your concerns.

Malcolm,
HID sounds interesting, then we can blind the buggers back!
Presumably they would use the existing light units, with the associated electronics attached to the inside of the clip behind the access panel?
$64,000 question - cost?
Happy New Year,
Tony

Tony,
Iguess Malc has got a good price, but as a guide... h-i-d.co.uk do a conversion for road and ones for racing. The H4 conversion is £385inc VAT; the racing version is £285 inc VAT.

Brett

Hi,

Got a the HID H4 conversion kit from Exeter Kit Car show(£120), converted the Lucas lamps to H4 (With a small file), and fitted them to the 40, putting all the electrics in the light pod. The difference is amazing. Well worth the effort.

If your headlamp covers are perspex then a HID light will make them go cloudy though, due to the strong UV light.

Jerry

Jerry did you do that after SVA? The reason I ask is, that under homologation laws HID lamps have to be self-levelling (probably in the kit) and come with headlight washers (which I don't think would be in the kit). Very good price though, I reckon I'll go for that post SVA!

Brett

I just got an adaptor from Goffy's bulbs in the UK

http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffybulbs.htm

He does a resin adaptor that lets a P43t H4 (normal H4 bulb) to be fitted into an older P45t headlamp. At £3.50 per side I decided to risk a set :) (listed in red toward the bottom of the page I think)

bulb_adapter.jpg

adapter_fitted.jpg

Malcolm

Supporter
Last set I bought was about £100. I am aiming to be as close to this price as I can. Let me start a separate thread for this so people can discuss away from Simons thread.

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
I just got an adaptor from Goffy's bulbs in the UK

http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffybulbs.htm

He does a resin adaptor that lets a P43t H4 (normal H4 bulb) to be fitted into an older P45t headlamp. At £3.50 per side I decided to risk a set :) (listed in red toward the bottom of the page I think)

I have those in mine - they work a treat. Still very little visibility in dipped beam, but I think that is a physical constraint of the recessed headlights, the angle of "dipping" and the close proximity to ground. But main beam seem to be fine. I think in conjunction with driving lamps to "extend" the dipped beam distance - should be fine.

Last edited:

Howard Jones

Supporter
I am using these in my car.

6255BAHP - W-6255BAHP

They work good and they are very cheap. Just pop them in. No conversion, no nothin. Make sure you order the minimum order. I think it was 25 dollars US last time. This way you can really save some bucks on shipping and handling.

Back