24 Hours of LeMons - This is gonna be a good one!

Ron Earp

Admin
Well 2008 is upon us and new race plans are being formulated. Son of Sanford (Ron M, one of our usual posse) put out the word - do we want to race the famous 24 Hours of LeMons?

http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/

You've got to take a look at the rules on the webpage. If you've not seen the write ups in Car and Driver and other magazines, it looks to be a hoot. I especially like the one we'll run at since it'll be at CMP, one of our usual road courses, and close to home.

So, the search is on for a sub-$500 heap to race. Jeff Young has turned up a few good suspects already - cop cars, old Probes, Pintos, and the list goes on.......

Do we opt for factory turbo car for cheap hp? Or a battering ram to remove the competition? With the $500 claim rule and the "one car will be crushed rule" there isn't any point in putting a lot of money into these heaps or trying to dodge around the rules.

I really like the "No Whiner" rule.

Pretty good Youtube video here:

YouTube - TEAM SANTA CRUZ: 24 Hours of LeMons In-Car Action

The 190 treadwear tire rating really hurts!!! Plenty of sliding with that in place.

Race on!

Looks a hoot! -

The rules definately make amusing reading, from the 'BSF' Bull-Shit-Factor rating that your car gets based on perceived build cost, to the lousy driving and 'why am I upside down' rules...

Make sure you fit a bullet cam, but you might want to attach it to the driver, just in case you're selected for 'crushing'....:D

I have been researching my options for doing a 24 hours of LeMons race as well. I am shooting for the race at Thunderhill in October. It looks like an absolute blast. I love the Youtube video of the too nice for it's own good BMW getting destroyed last year!
I am going to be speaking to the other instructors for the Western States Cobra Bash track day to guage interest in putting a car in the event. It should be a refreshing change of pace for those that vintage race.
Please post pics and updates of your build please. I would be very interested in any tricks and tips you utilize. I have never attended one of these and would like to get a closer look at the preperation.
Perhaps if this does happen we can get a west coast GT40's.com party barge at the race?

My friends and I drove a Nissan 300ZX (Good Grief Team Locust) in the September 29-30, 2007 LeMons race held in the Michigan area and had a great time. We were running 4th about 15 hours into the race when the radiator blew. We plan to run the September race in Michigan this year.

What a hoot! If only someone would organise something similar in the UK. - yes I know we have banger racing etc but a 24 hour banger race with those sort of rules, I'd go to see that.

Ron Earp

Admin
Peter,

any tips you can give us would be good! We have enduro race experience and can handle all of that, but we don't have experience in a race like this!

Ron

Back