Speed Ventures Jan 26, 2008 Willow Springs

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Well, another video not of a running GT40 ;)

Here is a few laps at Willow Spring Raceway, the big track. This is the 65' mustang with a 331, mufflers, Kumho Victoracer's, bad shifting, and finally what seems like some kind of oil pump failure (shaft, pump, ???).

It was raining all week, and I was going to cancel, but a break (no pun intended) and it was clear and beautiful Saturday, so out comes the Ripper for a day of fun.

Here is the video, actually very good quality from yahoo, crank the sound as always. This is just a quick cut, I'll edit the two camera views for better fun.

Sandy

Here is the link, can't figure out how I got the others to embed. Might be some settings that have changed, not sure, so here is the link

Speed Ventures Willow Spring Mustang Blown Engine - Yahoo! Video

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Great sounds...

The car was obviously traction challenged when the rubber was cold..

I think I would have done a bit of snake-steering on the warm-up lap to warm up those tires and bring the oil up to temp rather than filling the mirrors of the cars in front.

Fun little track!

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Tires were ice cold but got hot fast ;). Oil was warmed up as I did a drive to the other parts of the course before jumping onto the track. The rear tires heat up quickly...

One thing for sure in looking at the video, the mount is much better then the old one, I have to thank Ron for that since his video used rigid mounts and the video was excellent.

I just posted the Roll bar mount project on my web site for those that are interested in making their own. Pretty simple.

Home of GTSparkPlugs.com look under the Project section you will get the idea.

Sandy

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
I Forgot about this thread, Aliens did not cause the breakage. It was a broken oil pump shaft which was likely caused by debris in the oil pump. Posted some of the engine internals at

Photos at GTSparkPlugs

Scroll down to the middle of the page you can see some of the problems, but so far 2 broken valve springs, 1 bent valve, broken oil pump shaft, clean oil, but some small metal (aluminum) chunks. Have to yank the engine to see what the chunks are, but likely broken piston bits.

I posted more of the videos on the Motorator just search for "The Ripper"

Sandy

Back