weatherstrip?

Ok I bought the JC Whitney Part# zx132560 weatherstrip and put it on the car. The doors fit great without the weatherstrip and are too high and close pretty hard with it installed. Will the JC Whitney weatherstrip settle enough to work? Has somebody found something better?
Thanks,
Jeff Hamilton

Jeff
Is your windshield in? It has to be in the car (temp or perm) to fit the doors. The spider sags without it. We had to put a prop rod in to lift the spider to it's final position (simulating the windshield). After we did that, the doors fit perfectly

Bill D

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Jeff

I had the same problem with mine.
The doors fit and closed properly until the weather strips were installed then no go as the weatherstrips were too thick.

My solution was to use a rubber J shaped profile over the body edge and then glue a soft round profile seal onto that to make up my own complete seal in the size I needed.

It was a bit fiddly but it looks professional and works and the doors close easily.

Dimi

I used McMaster-Carr They have many different sizes and styles. I never did get mine to seal up. The gap thickness is inconsistant. I had to use a thin seal to get the door close. This left some gaps in the larger clearance area's. I have made my peace with it.

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Jeff,
I too used the JC whitney part number you listed above. Here is how mine resulted. I did all my door fitment and alignment with the weather strip in place. (Just for reference: If the weather strip is now removed, the tops sit low). I made my prop rod so the windshield was just below flush with the spider top. Since the doors are hand laid glass, the lip thickness did vary around the door, so I massaged them some (thinned them) in spots to fit my need.

Hope this helps....

Attachments

• P1120925.jpg
    P1120925.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 399
  • P1120926.jpg
    P1120926.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 372
  • P1120932.jpg
    P1120932.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 367
Back