Trying to decide

I am new to this site. I have owned a number of American muscle cars but never a Ford. Recently, I have been considering a Kirkham Cobra, 99 Ferrari Fiorano or a Ford GT. The Ferrari seems a little too flashy. The Cobra Replica and the GT are just totally cool (in my opinion). The cars I have had in the recent past have all gone up in value from the date I purchased to the date I sold. Realizing it typically takes several decades to see some appreciation in most American cars, what is the current thought on the Ford GT's investment quality. I understand the cars are mileage sensative and are somewhat inflated (perhaps due in major part to the deflated dollar) as compared to a year ago. Does anyone know if Ford has any plans for another release?

As far as i know the Ford GT was only a limited run.... the last 10 of which were snapped up by Roush who gave it a tweaking and produced their Ford GT 600RE.

Hard to say whether these will appreciate.
Pro's:
Limited Run
Preferred Buyer Scheme
Iconic Shape (or close to it)

Con's:
Not the original GT40, very much a retro copy.
It's a Ford.... not exactly a badge that inspires collectors.
Jeremy Clarkson (from TOP GEAR) had one :rolleyes:

Only Time will tell.

judging by the number for sale I think it is very unlikely for the GT to appreciate in value. I did quite well on my Kirkham when I sold, but prices are up now and I do not believe they will continue to rise at a significant rate, ditto for the Ferrari. All the above cars should hold value better than most production cars however, so I would encourage you to buy the one that seems to fit you best and enjoy it for what it is and not for investment purposes. Give me a car I like and enjoy at a 15 percent loss per year rather than one I do not like at a 15 percent gain .

I agree with chuck, these cars are meant to be driven, they may be compared to works of art, but deep down they are race cars and expect to be used. The new GT may be more practical than the original GT40 but get a good replica and you will never wipe the smile off when you are driving it. As for value for money a replica GT40 should cost about half the new GT and you'll get the best looking car (IMHO) ever created.

Back