getting to the track

What trailer configuration is best for a 40? I am seeing enclosed trailers with drivers side escape doors, looks to be a good thing for getting in and out of car that is in trailer.
What are you track guys using it haul your cars to the track? I am thinking an 18' is long enough but 20' seens to be more popular.And with the high door on 40's it will open over trailer wheel box and escape door opening. That will leave room for a bench at the front.
thanks
Randy

I use a 24 ft Haulmark with a winch to pull the car in. A door on the side of the trailer to allow my gt40 door to open while I drive it in would be helpful. I had the trailer before the gt40. I would definately not go less than 20ft and 24 is great for the stuff that goes with it.

I hesitate to shill for my own trailer, but it is for sale, and would make a great GT40 race trailer.

It's a 20' ATC all-aluminum trailer. You can see it at Racing Junk at

Race Ads | For Sale: ATC Aluminum Race Trailer- 8.5 X 20

It doesn't have a side escape door, but the safer way to get a wide car like the GT40 into any enclosed trailer is to use a small electric winch. Driving a relatively wide car into a trailer is pretty risky, IMO.

PM for more details if you want them.

I'm selling the race operation to buy a car from RCR...

Ron Earp

Admin
I've got a 20 foot trailer and I don't think you'd want anything smaller. It fits the car comfortably and has enough room to allow for proper car tie down, tool chest, spares, fuel jugs, etc. My race buddy has an 18 footer and while it works just fine it is a bit cramped. The 2 ft of space really makes a difference. A 24 footer would be even better, but I'd consider a 20 ft to be a minimum enclosed trailer to use at the track.

I do have the "escape" door on my trailer and it comes in handy. Helps loaded the car when you remember to use it and when open it allows enough room for my hammock to swing properly - a good thing! As of late though track time has been too busy for me to actually use my hammock.....

Randy:

A 24 foot is great as it leaves plenty of space for added track day equipment and the added length may tow a little better, but it does add more weight as well. I'd suggest a torsion axle set up is the only way to go no matter what length you opt for.

Feff

Chuck

Supporter
Any thoughts on aluminum vs steel? No winter towing for me, and the salt spray of the sea is a thousand miles away so corrosion should not be an issue. Looks like one can get about a 20% weight reduction with alum.

Brands? Serpent Express? Looks simple and light for the occasional user.

Chuck

Any thoughts on aluminum vs steel? No winter towing for me, and the salt spray of the sea is a thousand miles away so corrosion should not be an issue. Looks like one can get about a 20% weight reduction with alum.

Chuck

Chuck, obviously the aluminum would be ideal for the weight savings, but I'd offer it's a matter of what you want your trialer and your tow vehicle. Aluminum is quite a bit more expensive. My neighbor has a 3-axle (torsion suspension) 24-foot that he tows with his Dodge Ram diesel and loves it. He ntoes with the towing capacity of the Ram, the added expense for the aluminum trailer just wasn't worth it.

Feff

Mine's a 24 foot with a useless side escape door. It's just not a 40 kind of door, maybe a 50 kind of door. And I have to back mine in so the side door is on the wrong side.

I use an electric winch. Way to go.

Back