993 trans options question

Would like to have you guys chime in on this topic. I never paid much attention to newer porsches untill yesterday and noticed that the Cayman S's transaxle is installed in the more "traditional" postion, It is behind the motor rather in front like all 911 based chassis. I have been told the only trans that will work in my 917 is a 930. using the 930 trans requires flipping the ring gear. Will a Cayman 6-speed trans bolt up to a 911 based motor particularly the 993. If no, why not. If yes, how much power can it handle. According to the dealer, the Cayman s has about 320 HP

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Gani,

On a Cayman box the bolt pattern is different and would require an adapter plate.....

You should have said we could looked at the one at the shop yesterday when you were in....

The trans is much more like hardcore Audi style box as opposed to a G50...the output flanges are very low ..ala Audi...so not ideal but something that could be usable in a lower torque higher RPM package...not very V8 friendly though in my opinion

Last edited:
Back