Ricardo in an RCR

Here are a few pics of the LSx and Ricardo box .....its a tight fit but it does fit all the same.

Attachments

• ricardo rcr40.JPG
    ricardo rcr40.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 1,094
  • ricardo rcr40 1.JPG
    ricardo rcr40 1.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 1,013
  • ricardo rcr40 2.JPG
    ricardo rcr40 2.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 1,113
Non really.....we made a new adapter plate for the Superlite Coupe..LS7 TO Ricardo and just decided to try and drop it in the back of the RCR40....voila.

The rear undertray will be notched but we do that for the various transaxles as a matter of course...

I have always had an eye on the Ricardo transaxle as its the only new high volume OEM transaxle solution for big 700hp plus performance applications in the last 30 years...

Last edited:
I forgot to mention that with the our new custom flywheels..stock Ford GT clutch and starter are retained, making service easy too.

Fran,

What's the offset on the driveshafts? It doesn't look excessive but I'm wondering.

You've mentioned previously that the Ricardo is a reasonably large & heavy, how much heavier is it and what does it do to the weight distribution?

(I realise engine choice will make a difference too, but if it's a big lump hanging way out the back it might make the points from the debate on the SL Roadster's weight distribution relevant)

Freewheel,

driveshaft angle is a non-issue

the trans is heavier than others on the market but the reliability and performance advantages far outweigh the issues...IMHO..
A T44 transaxle used in original big block GT40's is no lightweight but cars using them won Le Mans....

Dont you think that there are far too many variables to make a blanket statement about handling characteristics induced by an extra 45 lbs of transaxle....??

911's have always had their engine dangling way out back but over the years development has proven that any situation can be refined.

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
Fran fran fran...

Whatever shall we do with you? I seem to remember myself up there and you saying the Ricardo "just won't fit back there, but in the MkIV there's acres of room!!" Is that only with the pushrod Ford engines? Is the LS series of engines really that much of a better choice? I mean I know the LS engines make gobs of power, are extremely light, extremely strong, and crazy reliable. What's your take on it? Absolutely beautiful work though man. A 6-speed GT40... talk about a top end monster!!! Imagine that beast with a Master-Shift setup in it!

Thanks for the compliments...

The LSx motor is the reason it will fit...quite correct...

You mean the mastershift I have for my SL-C ???

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
Thanks for the compliments...

The LSx motor is the reason it will fit...quite correct...

You mean the mastershift I have for my SL-C ???

Yes, that Master-Shift. I talked to Blain (sp?) about selling them at Motion Dynamics. Not much local interest in them though. I am diggin that system though man. Let me know what you think about it. ;)

Its OK but needs refinement....kind of pricey..

The "box" that houses the actuators and short cables is huge....making it bloody awful to locate ..it has to have clean cable route as it houses the shift selector.

I know that Blaine from Master shift is interested in us using an rf signal instead of wires...

I will let you know once we have it sorted....

Fran,

Thanks for that, I didn't know the weight difference was so little.

I now recall your observations of the results of 40 years of developing the 911 concept, which leads me to also recall what a wise man once told me;

"All generalisations are false!" ;)

Fran, I wondered what you where going to do with that monster, seeing it in your shop, it looked big! Good job, what a great combo.
Randy

Freewheel,.

Dont you think that there are far too many variables to make a blanket statement about handling characteristics induced by an extra 45 lbs of transaxle....??

Made negligible when combined with an all aluminum LS7 vs any other box and an an iron block Ford

I am using the original equipment shifter sourced from Ford.....also available as a short shifter ...by special order.
My concern with the short shifter would be much like Porsche short shift ..in that the syncros cannot move fast enough and creating the possibility of damage to the box.

Last edited:
Back