Sandown Race report 1st and 2nd March

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Well my first race meeting for the year and I completed a few jobs during the lead up. All the 3 piece front wheels with corrected offset were finished,fitted with rubber and ready to go.I fitted a rear wing which you can view in my ongoing build section and I fiddled around with corner weighting the car.I found the corner weights without me in it to be only 2kg/corner from ideal but when I jumped in and put 1/2 tank of fuel in this shot up to 6kg/corner, oh well I had no time left for fiddling so that will have to wait.
I was hoping to attend friday practice but when my licence didn't arrive on thursday and wife Cheryl's refusal to run the business I decided to deliver the car to Sandown, complete the paperwork and store the car in the garage ready for saturday morning.
Saturday dawns and out to the track early scrutineers only want to see my suit/helmet/gloves/shoes etc so easily through this and back to prep the car for 1st qualifying session 15 mins.My tyre pump let more air out of the tyre I was trying to pump up so off to use air from tyre suppliers truck.This delayed me getting to the drivers briefing on time and along with 2 other drivers had to wait for the man to deliver our extra lesson while all the other guys went out on the track.Finally I get out a bit flustered and enter the track with cars flying past on a hot lap. I try to warm up for a lap but can't do much weaving/accelerating and braking with all other cars on hot laps.
So I come round on my first hot lap down the straight into turn one, stand on the brakes and car did not respond,off I go straight ahead with front brakes locked up heading for the kitty litter.Managed to pull up with back wheels still on the grass so able to reverse out and get going again.This was our first qualifying session and things weren't going well for me so far.Managed to finish the session without further drama but bad vibration coming from front wheels.Best lap 1min 23.6 16th place.
Back in the pits front tyres found to be badly flat spotted so off to the Dunlop man for 2 new ones $1000 thank you.Add that to the $2000 for a new set of wet tyres I had just purchased on friday and you can see how expensive this sport is. The Dunlop man was out of my normal 265 slicks so I had to accept a couple of 240 tyres a little narrower.
2nd qualifying went off without a hitch and I was trying not to overheat the new tyres recorded a slightly faster lap time of 1min 23.04 and 18th grid position. Starting to get a real flow in the car now and happy in preparation for the first race.The steering is now wonderful and light, the car a joy to drive. Down on speed with the old motor in though but surprisingly not too far away I'm holding out one 'P..... car (driven by a judge no less) and 2nd last but it's a very quick field of cars.
1st race sat arvo and I come round to my grid position and my view of the starting lights is blocked by the car in front (this is becoming known as the GT40 phenomenon by me) so I arch my head to the left to get a slight glimpse.Lights go out and I've got too much wheel spin,yellow flags waving momentarily warning of a car stalled but go away.Don't make up any spots but off into the first corner and around it no problem.I'm driving well, nice and smooth and manage to stay with some competition but fall away as the cars spread out and they beat my time by 1 or 2 secs per lap.However I hang in and pick up positions through attrition passing Murray Carter's ailing Corvette just before the chequered flag.Finish in 16th place 1min 21.4sec getting better.
2nd race Sunday morning after repairing the front undertray I'd damaged during practice it went pretty much as race 1 and I finished in 15th place 1min 21.4 sec best lap consistent.
3rd race sunday afternoon got very hot in the car waiting on the dummy grid for at least 1/2 an hour while the formula Fords beat themselves up on the track. Finally out we go and I got a brilliant start in front of one of the Ferrari 360s and the Corvette/MG opponents but lost those places later in the race.Finished 13th was lapped by the front running P...... GRRRRR hate them my fastest lap 1min 22.6sec.

So to sum up I am happy with the new handling, the rear end appears firmly planted with new wing (not a hint of oversteer) and now can move on and assemble the new motor, can't wait, got to get into 1min 17sec lap times to be competitive with those P.... Cars.

Till next time
Ross

Malcolm

Supporter
Sympathies on the fluster before getting out, been there and it is a real pain as you know you are not as focused as you should be. Contribution to your first hot lap overshoot? History now. I need to go somewhere warmer, both you and Ron have started your seasons racing already and I have another month to wait. Glad to hear the steering concerns are gone. Did you post elsewhere what cured it? I seemed to have missed that if you did. Anyhow, pleased to report that I have made a positive step in your battles against those P***** cars. To reduce the number of P cars available to race you, I have sacrificed a large sum of cash to buy one here with no plans to put it on track. So one less for you to worry about Ross! Thanks for the race report, always good to read.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
So where's the video Ross? Hope the racing isn't introducing matrimonial strife, you don't need that! Good that you're happy with the geometry mods.

Cheers

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Glad to hear that the handling is coming around... How are those Dunlops as "Sticker" tires? I have terrible luck with most sticker tires after the 5th or 6th lap on a technical track. They seem to grease up quickly - much better to use them in a qualifier, then pull them off and put them away for the following week as scuffs.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
As always an interesting report Ross, thanks for posting. Good to see your heavy steering is fixed, it must be more fun now. You mentioned Murray Carter, is he the Murray Carter that raced touring cars in the 70's, or is it one of his offspring?

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Yes it is Murray Carter who raced touring cars in the 70's. People say he's 77 years of age but I reckon he's well into his 80's.Funny thing happened at the meeting he was pinged for exceeding the 95db noise limit and all Murray said was "I can't hear it", deaf as a post you see.Randy I presume the 'sticker' tyres you talk about are what we call 'slicks', no tread and very soft compound.Our supplies are manufactured in Japan.They do go off a bit toward the end of a race but boy do they have some grip.Is the car you race heavy? the 40 weighs in at about 1130kg in race trim.If your heavy and tyre width limited to 8" or less they will get well hot during a race alright.
Russ no I was overstating the domestic side of things most of my problem was self caused.Video camera will go in again when I return to Phillip Island, that will be the big test for the steering and I'll get it posted for all to see the difference.Gotta get the power back in the car, bit depressing running rear of field.
Malc would it be possible for you to arrange for more p... purchasers,I'm thinking 1000 or 2000 might clear the decks for me.Anyway please record your cheque account balance today, it is sure to be in minus figures shortly.Had the 2 Ferrari cars in the same garage as me at the weekend.Bit of a contrast, myself with the College boys working on my car for free, them with their professional mechanics (about 5 of them)air jacks,scraping stones from tyres, driving the car to the dummy grid while the driver walks over and gets in at his leisure,headset radio sytems so they can tell the driver the GT40 is in front after the start,Ponces hate them.Yes they still don't get off the line very well.
Ross

Ross, I may have missed some of your posts on solving the heavy steering. Was it improved via geometry changes only?
Thanks for your race write up, by the way.

Dalton

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Randy I presume the 'sticker' tyres you talk about are what we call 'slicks', no tread and very soft compound.Our supplies are manufactured in Japan.They do go off a bit toward the end of a race but boy do they have some grip.Is the car you race heavy? the 40 weighs in at about 1130kg in race trim.If your heavy and tyre width limited to 8" or less they will get well hot during a race alright.

Hi Ross - ((American Racing Slang)) Sticker's are new Slicks or DOT Tires that would still have the manufacturer's "Sticker" on the tread face such as the one shown;

mb_tires_LUE_tire_sticker_small.jpg

On most race-only tires that I see, there's typically a similar sticker that identifies the size / compound and inspector's sign-offs..

The cars I race are anywhere from 1900# to 3200# - None of them work well long-term on the sticker tires whether they are slicks or DOT Treated tires. When I was a contract driver for BFG - they told me to run no more than 5 fast laps on the tires before letting them cycle for a week. They (BFG) did not believe in the heat cycling services that some places like Tire Rack do.

We're currently preparing a new BMW M3, a Porsche 944 and a pair of Ford Mustangs. The Mustangs will compete in SCCA B-Prepared and Super Production. The heaviest will weigh in at a svelte 3100# with me in it at the end of the race. I'm in at 220 with full gear... Yes - I'm on a workout program now.. :) Tire sizes are 205 for the lighter cars up to 315 for the SP Mustang.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Yes it is Murray Carter who raced touring cars in the 70's. People say he's 77 years of age but I reckon he's well into his 80's.Funny thing happened at the meeting he was pinged for exceeding the 95db noise limit and all Murray said was "I can't hear it", deaf as a post you see.Ross

Good to see the old bloke is still having a go. He was a very aggressive driver and fun to watch. I reckon he would be in his eighty's for sure.

BL67303 - FORD XY FALCON GTHO - Murray Carter - ATCC (1973) - Biante Model Cars.

Last edited:

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Dalton check the thread called "What causes heavy steering at racing speeds" all my changes are discussed there.It's in the chassis and suspension section.
Randy I think those sticker tyres must be what we would call a qualifying tyre and very very soft.To only last 5 laps is the giveaway.Slicks last much longer than that.
Ross

Malcolm

Supporter
To me a sticker tyre is a brand new, never been used on track tyre. New tyres seem to have a small waxy residue on them which needs scrubbing off to give the best traction. Doesn't take much.

Now Ross, you seem to be spreading your hate to the F cars as well as the P cars! I am not buying an F car as well! But your comments do show one thing for sure, you can have all the right gear but unless you know how to use it it is worthless junk.

Ron Earp

Admin
Randy I think those sticker tyres must be what we would call a qualifying tyre and very very soft.To only last 5 laps is the giveaway.Slicks last much longer than that.
Ross

Cool report - looks like a bit of progress and I know you're pleased with that. Always nice to see some of your changes bear fruit. I also understand about the focus and driving. Sometimes it falls into place, but other times not. My personal experience is that obtaining focus is getting easier as I race more but I'm still not always obtaining it fast enough to suit. Working on the car to solve problems that pop up do not help the situation.

Stickers in the US have nothing to do with the tire type. Sticker Hoosiers. sticker slicks, sticker rain tires - it just means a new tire. Lots of stigma around stickers it seems and some competitors have been known to print labels and afix them to tires to give the impression of running stickers....no kidding. Not sure what is up with that as Hoosier recommends to run a set of stickers in and then put them away for 24 hours, which typically means the next weekend, before using them in anger. Not always possible to do though.

Malcolm, P car, F car, all for posers - what is the difference? :) :poke:

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
I always thought that a sticker tire was brand new with the manufacturer's
label still attached. Nothing to do with the type of tire or compound.

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Yes I understand now a sticker tyre is brand new and what I call green.Dunlop man tells me to warm up tyres like this slowly then give them a rest with a couple of slow laps and then go for it.I go out and ignore his advice, usually because I have a 'P' car behind me and i want to keep him there even during practice.my behaviour probably shortens the life of those new tyres but I coudn't care less,the smile on my face says it all.
Ross

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
.....but I coudn't care less,the smile on my face says it all.

Ross, it's funny how those little things in life give so much pleasure:D
And thanks for letting us live through you on race day:cool:

Back