Rear suspension advice

Hi I am rebuilding my T70 replica replacing the gearbox/rear suspension. This means re-designing the lower rear suspension it is currently reverse a arm with a trailing arm. I have changed the rear uprights to alloy Ultima uprights which means i can no longer mount the trailing arm to the upright (see original setup picture) as it will obstruct the rear wheels.
I was thinking of adding a brace to the a-arm and mounting the trailing arm to the side of the a-arm the mounting points to the chassis would remain the same(see proposed setup picture) but a friend of mine who rebuilds race cars did not like the idea.
The pictures are not accurate they are just to outline the origial/proposed setup.
I know there is a wealth of knowledge and experience on the forum and would value your feedback. Thanks in advance Mark

Attachments

• Original Setup (Small).jpg
    Original Setup (Small).jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 623
  • Proposed Setup (Small).jpg
    Proposed Setup (Small).jpg
    59 KB · Views: 639

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Hi Mark,

Apart from introducing side loads into the RJ's on the upright, I can't see any downsides to this. You may have to replace the RJ's more frequently due to increased loads and wear. The RJ's here are probably 1/2 " so should be able to take the extra loads OK IMHO.

The other option would be to space the wheels out. Just a matter of what's easiest.

Cheers,

Hi Mark

I don't see any probs with that at all. Just makes it exactly the same as a real T70 Spider:), and there's no problems with them....

Good Luck

Darren

CRC Racecar Engineering

Hey Mark
I would second what Russ and Darren said...just make sure that your thru-bolt in the bottom of the upright is grade 8, or the metric equivalent.
Cheers
Phil

Russ thanks for the feedback would struggle to space the wheels. Darren i have a cut away of the first T70 spider the arm seems to go to the upright but it is difficult to tell, had to pull out my tamiya 3B kit at 1 in the morning and you are spot on thanks. Phil thanks for the comments. I have attached an image of some rear "measuring up" I will get a full build site underway soon to show the rebuild.
(sorry can't upload images at the moment will try and add picture later!!!)

Attachments

• rearwheel.jpg
    rearwheel.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 532
  • rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 505
Last edited:
Pictures

I will be picking up my Lola Spyder replica in 2 weeks. Can you please post more pictures of your Lola so I can get more ideas on how to finish my car.

Berst regards

John

Back