Original MkII ex-Alan Mann

I am working on XGT-1, the yellow #8 that ran in the 66 Le Mans race. I am looking for information on spring rates for the rear suspension. It has the correct Koni shocks which are 10.5 inches perch to perch but the springs are 12 inch long #300 units which are not up to the task of supporting a iron block 427. Anyone have original setup documentation?

Neal,

The engine looks much to clean and polished to be a race car. Hard to believe its the original paint. I may give them a call tomorrow. Thanks for the lead.

Ed

I spent the weekend at Bathurst (Australia) (21,22 & 23 March) and noticed a yellow GT40 with a light blue stripe down the middle, I went over to say hello just as he was packing up to drive home so did not get a chance to chat to him, as he left I was assured by someone in the same pit that it was an original! I know its pretty thin information but does anyone know who that could have been ?

Iain

Neil the MKII XGT-3 for sale that you mentioned was a spare and never raced at the 1966 Le Mans (Motor Classic and Competition Corps)
Regards Allan

I am working on XGT-1, the yellow #8 that ran in the 66 Le Mans race. I am looking for information on spring rates for the rear suspension. It has the correct Koni shocks which are 10.5 inches perch to perch but the springs are 12 inch long #300 units which are not up to the task of supporting a iron block 427. Anyone have original setup documentation?

This might help.

Jac Mac

Last edited:
I spent the weekend at Bathurst (Australia) (21,22 & 23 March) and noticed a yellow GT40 with a light blue stripe down the middle, I went over to say hello just as he was packing up to drive home so did not get a chance to chat to him, as he left I was assured by someone in the same pit that it was an original! I know its pretty thin information but does anyone know who that could have been ?

Iain

How you doing Ian,
As far as I'm aware there is only one original in Aus and it's red in colour and made from original spare parts from the ford factury. During the past two years i've came across at least three owners claiming that their car is original and at a closer inspection the truth is known. I don't know what people achieve by claiming that their replica is an original but there are people that get their kicks from doing so I guess.

How you doing Ian,
As far as I'm aware there is only one original in Aus and it's red in colour and made from original spare parts from the ford factury.

This is as original as they get and here in Aus. Have seen it numerous times as it's local, it's even raced, although not as regularly as it once was - #1034.

For more info on P1034 click this link: Bowden's Own - Premium Car Care Products

We also have another GT40 local to me - #1109. Not as original, but certainly respected. It's still regularly raced. The same owner also has an original Lola T70 Mk3B.

Enjoy. :)

With all due respect that spec is for a replica MKII.
Tatios this a really silly question since it was the first thing I thought you would have done. Have you contacted Allan Mann?
I could give put you in touch with Ronnie Spain (PM me) he might be able to help. I know it was not an Holman and Moody entry but maybe the MKIIs were set up similarly you could try Lee Holman or even Shelby.
Just trying to be helpful
As for replicas there are still two P1012!!!
Regards Allan

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Don't you Ozzies have P1041 in Alice Springs also? I believe it's dead original too. That makes at least three originals in Oz.

According to research the race teams used 450 pound springs at Daytona. Based on this information I installed 12 inch long 450 pound Hyperco springs on the rear. The car is now sitting at a reasonable height with the lower perches adjusted nearly to the top. I was looking to have the rear framework about 4 inches off the ground so the car would not bottom under normal conditions.

I would love to see some pics also as I am loosly replicating that car with my yellow MK11 SPF 2103

gt4011001.jpg

Trevor Booth

Lifetime Supporter
Supporter
Iain,
the car you saw at Bathurst was the one that I put together and ran in Targa 2005 and 2006. It was originally black. ( see my avitar). It is a mono tub built in NZ one of about 6 or 7. There are some original parts on the car that came from my collection of bits but the car is not an original car. It is a very quick car with a Bo Seton engine and far beyond the owners ability.
AFAIK there are 3 original cars in aust, Dave Bowdens car, Rob Sherards Car, and one in Alice Springs believed to be damaged.

I would love to hear from anyone who knows of the whereabouts of the Alan Mann car that had a Hewland transaxle fitted

Iain

Hello Iain and Russ,

AMGT-2 was driven by a good friend of mine in Europe in the Spanish Sports car championship in 69/70 (Barcelona,
Jarama, Montlerey etc) - in believe with Junkadella.

Although going on to construct, race and win LeMans - the world's greatest endurance race - several times in the 1980's (great inspiration!) he still proclaims it to be the nicest car he has ever raced. And thus, has implored me not to deviate too far from the original with my build!

I'm not sure when the Hewland was fitted, but I seem to recall the car was for sale in New York last year (a near-record asking price).

I'll see if I can dig up the info for reference.

Back