Looking for an early 5 spd ZF for my king cobra

Need an early 5 speed ZF for my King Cobra

Hi,

I am new to the list and do appreciate the site. I have the last Shelby American race car, a 1967 king Cobra. The car was designrd for Can AM by Len Terry and constructed by Phyl Remington for Mr. Shelby. My car, #3 was the last of three and was a back up car for the team. I have the original NOS XE 351 block and NOS Westlake heads, much original suspension and Gurney Wheels. The missing major component is the early GT 40 5 speed ZF and I am now beginning the search.

Remington, O'Leary, Collins, Gurney and Mr. Shelby have signed the tub and are helping with the restoration, each in a unique way. I appreciate your help. Graham Collins will be doing the lions share of the work and he will know the right Bellhousing etc. so I will locate it and he will make the call.

Sincerely,

Steve Johns

Hi

I have the last Shelby American race car, a 1967 King Cobra. The car was designed for Can Am by Len Terry, constructed by Phil Remington @ Shelby American and is #3 of three. I have the Prototype original 351, Westlake heads, much original suspension, Eagle wheels, documents etc. The last major component needed is the early GT 40 5 speed ZF and bell housing.

I have met with Remington, Collins, O'Leary, Dan Gurney and Mr. Shelby who have all autographed the tub and are helping with the project. Graham Collins is heading up the project and he will make the call on what I find. PLease look out behind the barn in the old scrap pile and see!

Thanks,

Steve

Ian Clark

Supporter
Re: Need an early 5 speed ZF for my King Cobra

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the forum:) There's a tremendous resource here that you'll surely find helpfull.

Can you post some pics of your car? The King Cobra is a favorite of mine. An other European design called into service for the Can Am Series was the Ford Honker which I believe was done by Holman&Moody based on the Ford 3L. Anyways, both cool cars, love to see some photos.

Cheers

Hi,
I have a ZF-25 that I do not need. It is not a ZF25-1 or -2, but an earlier ZF25 5 speed that is probably what you are looking for.. I will check to see what gears it has and perhaps you could make use of it as-is. I also have some Ford to Hewland bell housings but I would imagine that you might need something different for the ZF. I don't know...
Your car sounds pretty neat. Please post some photos...

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel

Yes, pics PLEASE!! Sounds like you have an awesome build, this should definitely be interesting to follow. Do you have a story of how you came about the car? I'd sure like to hear how you got your hands on a piece of history like that, LUCKY!!!

Welcome to the Forum,

Brian

Steve,

Your car would have come with a first-generation 5DS-25 transaxle; these things are exceptionally rare and hard to find. If you are intent on being as authentic as possible, I would snap up Johan's gearbox.

Cory Gehling at Collector's Choice in Dane, WI was also advertising an original 5DS-25 a few months ago.

These gearboxes differ in detail from the much more prevalent 5DS-25/1 and 5DS-25/2 variants, and there is almost no parts interchangeability. Thus parts are substantially more expensive (and 'cheap' ZF parts cost a fortune already!), so it will likely take a healthy financial commitment to keep this gearbox going if you intend to beat on it.

Many/most of the original GT40s that are actively racing have been retrofitted with a dash-2 gearbox (modified Pantera gearbox), as they are much more common, and have a host of small improvements. I believe the differential clutch pack design is completely different, for one thing.

Lloyd Butfoy (www.rbttrans.com)is probably one of the only retail sources for "Dash-zero" parts; last time I was there a few weeks ago, he had one or two of them sitting on the shelf. Perhaps he would have one to sell you?

Here are some pics I found on the net. I was previously only familiar with the Cooper-Fords that the press called King Cobras, but I think the 1967 Can-Am car is really cool.

Attachments

• king cobra-1.jpg
    king cobra-1.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 483
  • king cobra-3.jpg
    king cobra-3.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 549
  • king cobra-2.JPG
    king cobra-2.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 386
I have this ZF for use in a Lola Project and would rather have a Hewland LG 500 or 600.
Not to change the subject, but if I could find a Hewland I could then get rid of this ZF.
Any leads appreciated.

Dear Ian,
Thanks for the reply and interest. I am working on getting photographs on the post so please hang in there. The car is going to be fun to do but I must remind myself of what it will be like when it is running to keep going. I believe that Ford produced about 50 XE prototype 351 blocks in 1967. These are the first of the 351 engines produced.

1/3 went to the GT 40s after Le Mans and the rule change. 1/3 went to H&M for the Honker and the others went to Dan Gurney for machine work for use in my car's team. I came by the block looking for Westlake Heads as used on my car. I hope the list can help answer my question of weather or not any other Shelby American team race cars used Gurney heads/wheels etc. The block and heads I have are NOS from Jay Cushman in Main.

Steve

Dear Johan,

Do you have one or two ZF units? Pease get any information you can on what you have. What is on the tag? Is it complete? Is there a Bellhousing? what is the condition as you know? I have no problem with a possible exchange for what you need if I can find it.

A nice original Shelby American mechanic that wotked on the King Cobra #1 when it raced in 1967 named Popov-Dadiani has a nice bit of history on the ZF. Last year he sent an image of the original ZF tag Mr. Shelby had him remove from the ZF at Riverside to keep competetors from seeing the ratios for the race.

When I find the image I will know more about the exact ZF and rations I need.

Sincerely,

Steve

P.S. Can't wait for info on what you have and thanks for the reply.

Hey Steve
Great to see you made it to the forum.....it was good to talk to you the other day. If I can help you have my phone number. These guys are great here and should be a great source of knowledge to help your project. When you have time I would love to see a build log on the King Cobra !!
Mike G

David, thanks for the interest but my first choice for the gearbox is to trade/sell it to Steve because it would help get another car on the Can Am grid where I race, and also I believe it is geared with ratios that would at least partially be usable to Steve. If he does not take it, fine, but in the meantime like I said I have to find a Hewland to keep my little project alive.

Back