Hello Everyone and please help

this is my first post on here so just wana say hello im Jordan....and this is the part i need help with im looking for a Ford gt a replica a real one any kid really now here is the part where everyone will start laughing..im only 17 but im VERY VERY serious about buyinh owning and taking care of a Gt40 im graduating high school here in about a month to futher my education in the autobody feild so i would really like to buy one before then...please anyone if you can help or if there is anyone willing to make my dream come true and possibly help me out with a montly plan thing that would be AMZING im just looking to make my dream come true ive been into gt40 ever scinc wow i cant even rember ...i rember reading along time ago about this amzing car in the lemans killing Ferrires and geuss what it turned out to be these amzing cars..so again if you can please help me i would HIGHLY appricate it..contact me on her or via [email protected] . ..thanks so much for your time have a good day

Welcome Jordan,

While I can understand your desire to own a GT40 you might consider a couple of things first before looking for a monthly plan.

1) Put some effort into developing high quality writing skills and learn to use the spell check button. These two things will assist you on your GT40 quest. While there are many people in this world that are successful without competent writing skills, it is a great asset that can translate into dollars and these dollars can then translate to a GT40.

2) Consider running the numbers of what a monthly plan for a car would be, I see some completed cars (GT40) for sale around the 60K (conservative) and up, and kits for less. Lets pretend you can put 10K down and finance 50K (that is as a 17 year old with what I am assuming has no credit experience and an hourly job). Continuing on, with a term of 60 months, an interest payment of 8%, the monthly payment results in $1013.82. All of these numbers are conservative and I am sure you can find cars for less but it illustrates a point. I at an older age than you would have a hard time paying $1013 a month for a toy and I have a decent paying salary. But maybe you have other financial resources, which if true then that is great.

3) Focus your late teen years and early 20s into creating a career that can support whatever you want, be it GT40, a family, travel, a house, etc. While you can always create careers at anytime in life, using your late teens and early 20s provides some of the best years to do it with the minimal amount of responsibilities (like car payments, child payments, house payments, a wife that spends a lot).

What I recommend now to quench your GT40 thirst is:

1) Read all you can about the car and supporting components

2) Join a car club where you can experience cars with others but you sidestep the cost of ownership. Sure the cars are not yours but you can learn a lot and get some enjoyment out of meeting new people

3) Find a part time job at a mechanics shop, there you can learn how an automobile works and after years of learning purchase a GT40 kit to build

4) Focus on building a career that can support an automotive hobby…. It is extraordinarily expensive

I was 17 once so I know that these pieces of advise are not what you wanted to hear and there is a good chance that they may not be heeded. With that said, I only know now that by doing some of the things above I will someday be able to purchase a GT40.

Kevin

Another idea is to locate someone near you that is building a GT40 and ask them if you can help them in order to learn the basics of building a car.

Jordon,

Just do your best. folks comment on my spelling all the time. I have a GT40 and to 65,66 shelby mustnags . I work hard and long..nothing was given 2 me. this is a great forum but some folks are pompus and dont even own a Gt40. I started out just like you..good luck.

thanks i never really thought about that but i dont know anyone at all close to me that has any replcas or kits that there doing

Oh Kevin!!

I looked at you past post and you were looking to see if anybosdy in the midwest would like to show you there GT since you DONT have one...I live in Riverside wich is next to Oak park. You are welcome to come and take a look and drive it. and I will give you some better advice how to go about owning one. :thumbsup::idea::thumbsup:

regards

Jordon,

I will be straight up Jordon,,Your simply to young to afford a car of this type.
Unless you inherit money, it will take along time to save alot of throwaway money on a car. Most folks here have lived our lives have families ect.ect. Now we have the expendable cash to have fun. Kevin did have 1 item of good advice...finish school get a good job thats it. Everything else will come in time.
Like I said unless you inherit on a boat load of cash, you will need a good job to afford anything now days..especially gas :furious: So focus on school and not just car dreams will come true, but everything else. Anytime you in the Chicago area, look me up I would be more than happy to let you take my GT40 or Shelby for a drive. This is as simple and straight as I can put it. A bunch of number figures and long winded advice was the wrong anserw to you question. Take advice from folks that own a Gt40's not those who don't walk the walk ...they are just good at talking the talk.. good luck! :thumbsup:

ok ok thanks alot sir...and if i do happen to be in your area i will deff ook u up id love to see a Gt in person

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Hey Jordan

I think you have had both sides of the argument above.

But at the same time all have given great informaion.
Start reading the forum, books, articles, kit car magazines, engineering books and anything pratical.

BUT whatever you do NEVER GIVE UP ON THE DREAM.

Yes it was a crazy decision but I bought mune on credit and the payments are heavy but without doing this I doubt I would ever have saved enough for an outright purchase - what with house and family, daughter & wife competing at World level in dancing etc. there is always a hole needing 50p when you only have 25p in your pocket.

Line the ducks up and wait and watch and when the right deal comes up put your money down and pick up the start of the dream. I am not sure about the USA market but these cars in the UK do not depreciate like normal cars and unless you are extremely unlucky on your purchase / situation you should get back some money if you need to sell the project for whatever reason.

Good lck with your quest - I wish I had taken the plunge years ago!

Ian

Hi Jordan:

Your beginning never equals your ending. Keep dreaming big dreams there are times when they will keep you going. John Holman Aka Holman Moody
started by driving a truck for a team in a pan american race. Benny Parsons was a Taxi driver. Ralph Ernhardt Dale's dad worked in a textile mill and raced on weekends. Oh Col. Sander's from Corbin KY had to ask 935 people who said no before he sold his chicken receipe one time.
Dream Big Dave

Hi Jordan
Thought I would say a quick hello from the UK and add my agreement to what has been said before in this trail. I was about 9 or 10 when I first started dreaming about the GT40. This was soon after their famous LeMans wins and they were pretty much everywhere over here (pictures that is, not in the flesh). In all my working life my dream was to earn enough to buy one, even a replica was fine by me knowing that the price of a genuine one was way out of my league. After 34 years of working and dreaming, raising a family and buying houses I finally realised the dream and bought mine last September. You will need a lot of luck to go with your dream and the best advice I can give is to take the odd risk every now and then. Playing the safe bet may pay the bills but it will never get you that car. What Kevin said, while somewhat harsh is so true. Hone those skills, sell yourself ( Am I really telling an American this?) and push some boundaries with your work life. I took a risk on a little firm just starting up after 12 years working in a safe job that was getting me nowhere, 7 years later a multinational bought us out and bingo! cash to spend on the dream. There are no guarantees in life and most don't make it, but never, even stop wanting it, you may be the lucky one.

Hope you get your dream

Chris

Oh Kevin!!

I looked at you past post and you were looking to see if anybosdy in the midwest would like to show you there GT since you DONT have one...I live in Riverside wich is next to Oak park. You are welcome to come and take a look and drive it. and I will give you some better advice how to go about owning one. :thumbsup::idea::thumbsup:

regards

Thanks John, you were kind enough to give me a ride already when I lived in Darien. You had a beautiful Blue GT40 and I believe I commented as much, and once again thank you for the ride. You drove out of your way to share the experience and I am grateful. You are correct, I do not have a GT40 of my own so if that invalidates my advise then so be it.... You might question why I do not own one yet, well exactly as you stated it is too expensive of a car for me to own at this point in my life just as you stated in your advise to Jordan here:

Jordon,

I will be straight up Jordon,,Your simply to young to afford a car of this type.
Unless you inherit money, it will take along time to save alot of throwaway money on a car. Most folks here have lived our lives have families ect.ect. Now we have the expendable cash to have fun.

At 28 I have a hard time pulling the trigger on a depreciating or flat lined (in case it does not depreciate) asset. But my situation is a thread drift so I will conclude... I am not sure what was so pompous with my advise up above except you must have gotten jumpy about my spelling and grammar comment. In fact to your point above I did mention this:

"While there are many people in this world that are successful without competent writing skills..."

Therefore since you clearly have pointed out that you have a GT40 in addition to other very nice cars you could be a role model for this this. I look forward to your dissertation on the connection between poor grammar and the quantity of beautiful 1960's era race cars that one owns. ;)

So how about this, just forget the idea of correct grammar from my post and use this since long winded responses are out of style.

1) Never forget your dream
2) Get a good job
3) Read what you can on the car
4) When in doubt refer to number 1

Jordan I apologize for the post drift. Cheers to you on your quest to own one.

Kevin

thanks so much all the advice is awsome i thought everyone would be rude about this me being so young and wanting a car this expenseive but thanks guys

Back