V12 P 4

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
This is a big looking engine but actually fits quite nicely....

Attachments

• S7300982 (Small).JPG
    S7300982 (Small).JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 843
  • S7300983 (Small).JPG
    S7300983 (Small).JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 678
  • S7300985 (Small).JPG
    S7300985 (Small).JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 650
Fran,

You told me you were going to take care of me!
I had no idea you were going to put an Indy race engine in my tub!

Fran, you are the best! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks Fran, :lol::lol:
Howard

Ps. How wIll I explain the extra noise to my wife and neighbors?
What is that engine out of?

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
Looks like a SOHC Jaguar V12. I could be wrong though... Not terrebly familiar with V12's. But that's the guess I'm sticking with.

What is it Fran?

NO, not Jaguar. Looking closer I'm pretty sure it's a Ferrari V12. Can't quite put where it's from though. Ignition and oil cap give it away. Probably a newer model with old school side draft carbs is my guess. What is it and what's it from?

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Looks nice... The alternator will need to be mounted elsewhere... Since the axle shafts are within just a couple of inches of the chassis horseshoe in the rear - what are you planning on for a trans?

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Modified 930 trans....one thing you cant see in the pic too well is that there is already a plate mounted to the engine that has to be removed...this frees up another couple of inches... so its not too much of a big deal.

Brian,
its a Ferrari ....bloody Jag...youngsters!!!!

Alternator will probably run off the driveshaft...this is a car that will see lots of track time and some light street use...

We are actually building two of similar spec...

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
OC,
there you go again, worrying about things that are not a problem...its a 60 deg.

Whatever the customer wants.....he will be taking care of the engine.

The other one has a very nice 500hp unit that should be here in approx two weeks...

We are all excited about these cars....

woops! sorry, i didn't mean that in a negative sense. I should have said 'it looks pretty sung in their, an damned good fit". I don't know how big that engine is dimensionality, so i don't know what to compare it to. From the photos, it looks pretty big and wide!

This is very exciting, the sound going though the gears must be something to behold.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
the 500hp one will be very special...its for a Ferrari collector that has some very nice cars....we may do the 512 for him next....

Wow, talk about filling the tub! It looks like the rear crossmember won't fit, but maybe it will when you remove the plate you mentioned.

Hmm...if I took my bonus next year, told my wife it was a bad year for the booze business, moved her M3 out of the garage, I mught just be able to...

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Mark,

I hope you have a heated floor in the garage...its cold in the winter...especially when you are sleeping out there.....

Yeah, that is exactly what she said!

Panels are all aligned on the GT40 and body work has started. Looks like I will see you at Carlisle with the car in tow!

Wow, it's been less than 5 hours since the first post and we're up to post #16.

This thread's going to go nuts when the body appears......

One unfortunate thing though, it's stuffed the M275 I'd been quietly contemplating (waaaay too wide), unless I can rejig the ancillaries, not something I feel confident about...

The Turbos could be accomodated on top of the chassis sides, but the rest is a drama.

More power to the owner, he's made us all (or me anyway) scarlet with jealousy....:D

fran,
that is Hot!!!
how much of the engine or heads will be sticking out of the car?
would love to see it with the body on, got to be great looking.
congrats...
wes

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
The Colombo engine is one of the best Ferrari ever made, here is a picture of my old 400 I sold to buy all the parts for my GT40. I really miss this car we drove it everywhere, I have had bags of top soil in the trunk to point of bungee cords had to be used. The motor was a great and easy to work on.

Attachments

• engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 558
The Colombo engine is one of the best Ferrari ever made, here is a picture of my old 400 I sold to buy all the parts for my GT40. I really miss this car we drove it everywhere, I have had bags of top soil in the trunk to point of bungee cords had to be used. The motor was a great and easy to work on.

And a 400 is a more likely source for the engine shown that Fran is using.

Back