Production Sports - how to beat a Careera Cup car

We made our race debut in our Louts Elise race car this weekend. The meeting was State Championships for Production Sports Cars. This is the category which Iain Pretty is building his GT40 to run in. And similar category to Ross Nicol, but in another State.

We had a great weekend, facing up against a couple of GT3 Cup Cars, a Ferrari and a bevvy of Turboed Mazda MX5 (Miata).
We managed a couple of 2nd places, and after an epic battle, pulled off the win in the main trophy race.
We also managed to knock Iain Pretty's lap record off aswell!!. Bought car home without a scratch. Just needs a wash.

Link to results: NATSOFT Race Result

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=28926&stc=1&d=1208133411
stickers1.jpg

Attachments

• stickers1.jpg
    stickers1.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 469
Congratulations Tim, sorry to see the lap record go but thats what they are there for !

The chances of us making the next round at Eastern Creek are getting better by the day (Thats what my therapist says anyway) so I look foreward to meetin you then,

Did you buy that car from Peter Landon ?

Iain

Thanks Iain. We're making the most of it, while you're still getting yours finished......

Glad to hear the GT is nearly there. I, for one, am busting to see it on the track, even if it does push us back down the grid a bit.

Yes, the car is Peter's old one. We did the Honda conversion for him. He's looking at furthering his Historics activities, so we bought ALL of his Lotus stuff. We were tired of stuffing up our "road" cars on the track, so we now have a proper "race" car which Dave & I will share in 1-hour races and take turns in the sprint races. It is a sensational car to drive. I was pulling over 200 down Wakefield straight, and gapping the WV by a length or two. Still plenty of development yet. The engine is still as it came from the wreckers (apart from the supercharger!).

Looking forward to EC.

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Well done Tim, wish I could bag a first place.The Lotus Exige I was dicing with was white and driven by Mark O'connor. Do you know him? Winton does suit those nimble good handling cars, but he destroyed the motor in a big way.
Ross

Yes Ross. It was a good feeling to bag the victory.
Marks car is a s/c toyota powered car. Similar spec to the cars which finished 8th & 10th in my race. The yotas are getting a reputation for breaking cranks. Is that what happened??
Glad you're making progress with your GT. We hope to be at Philip Island later in the year for a 1-hour ProdSports race. Hope to see you there?

Peter took me for a couple of laps at EC last year in that car. I would'nt be too concerned about my car, thats a very very quick machine

Iain

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Well done Tim!

Exciting times in Oz with you, Ross and Iain getting stuck into wheel to wheel. Got any incar vid? Or is the Lotus built that light that mounting a racecam will break something??:poke:

Cheers

We have 3 in-car cams Russ. I'll post a few links soon.

car weighs 715kg fyi.
develops about 340hp.

Last edited:

Malcolm

Supporter
Hi Tim

Great result, you must be very pleased. Superb PTW figures you have on that car, highly envious! Video didn't run on my computer maybe I don't have the right software but keep posting stuff, good to read about what you are up to.

Are you freindly with any of the MX5 guys? Could you put me in touch with one of the turbo guys?

Hi Malcolm,
I downloaded Qucktime to run them. That works fine for me.

There's a shop called MX5 Mania here in Sydeny. They run the #1 car of David Raddatz. I can contact David on your behalf if you wish.

The drive out of corners of the Lotus is amazing. That blue car is a 996 cup car with "work done", and we were pulling out nicely from it, as you can see in the vids.
Our engine is a bog stock Honda Integra/Civic Type R.
2.0 litres, untouched internally, but with an eaton blower and air/water intercooler.

BTW: the guy in england who puts these Honda conversions together has a Prosport.

Last edited:

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Hmmm.... I downloaded Quicktime but can't get any video, just a blank green screen. Thank god i stuck to a 4bbl, EFI would defeat me! The audio part sounds good though, just have to imagine the picture!.

Malcolm

Supporter
Now come on Tim, you are teasing me here something stupid! First you mention the make of supercharger we have on the shelf and how great it is on your car, and then you say the guy in the UK has a Prosport. Now I don't know which to follow up first!

Which Eaton s/c do you have? We are contemplating using an M45. Mixed feelings on it at present but we could really do with some power.

Who is the Honda chap in UK? I am aware of most Prosport owners so be interesting to see if I have ever met your guy.

Malcolm:
1/ Blower by Jackson Racing in US. Based on an Eaton M62.
2/ Simon Scuffham. His outfit is called "Link-Up". His race team is called Team Scandal. He also runs a number of Elises in various chapmionships.

Did you get the video to work?

Hi Tim -

Some footage is being uploaded to a suitable location as we speak and a link will be forwarded to Malc to pass on once complete.

Is taking some time so probably won't be ready till tomorrow + I know Malc likes his 'beauty sleep'....:laugh:

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Congratulations Tim, a terrific first outing. I love the paint job on your car.

Malcolm the video link didn't work for me either, but when I tried right click and save target as, they downloaded no problem.

Malcolm

Supporter
Ah, Scuffers, have raced against him in Britcar 24 Hours. Nice guy. I have a superb picture of an off he had in his Prosport when his front wheel fell off and flew for a distance as he spun into a gravel trap. Can't laugh too much as he finished the race and we retired with terminal engine issues! Also he is into Lotus racing in a big way which explains your engine upgrade by him.

Tried your tip Pete and whilst it saved the file, my machine can't/won't run it. I think it is because it is MP4 format which seems silly as my DVR recorder on my car uses that format too and I can watch those vids! Hey ho....

Paul (the man who doesn't need sleep!) was referring to this link....

http://www.smart-tech-services.co.uk/video/mgvideo.htm

The M62 is a bigger s/c and is used by others on MX5s. There is an off the shelf kit for it here but it is 50% the value of the car. But who said racing expenditure was logical? That would give us about 180 bhp (cf current 115) and with other work can be made to provide 230 bhp. The video clip shows you why we need to think about this!

Back