Interesting pictures of Audi R10.

From SeriousWheels.com looking at the picture below...

The spring for the rear suspension are torsion type and there appears to only be the one damper.
Very interestingly to me is that the damper appears to act directly from one suspension rocker to the other, therefore it can't be doing any work in roll.
I can't see the ARB mechanism, I assume there has to be one there unless the torsion spring rates are truly massive?

Anyone know better whats going on here?

I'd love to see a similar shot of the front suspension but thats all hidden in the nose box.

2008-Audi-R10-TDI-Engine-1920x1440.jpg

2008-Audi-R10-TDI-Engine-1920x1440.htm

Last edited:
The single transverse damper appears to have two ports feeding the longitudinaly mounted reservoir further back - hydraulic roll compensation?

The second pic isn't available anymore, but the first one shows what you are talking about. I've worked on an LMP1 Lola that got it's ass waxed by this car. Audi is very secretive about their vehicles. I've never been able to get a view like that. Great pic.

Anyway, I'm sure that the suspension is actively managed and what I see that is REALLY interesting is down next to the "torsion spring" housings which I'm not so sure those are. Note the cylinder like objects that appear to be attached to the shock pushrods on either side of the tranny. Those could be part of an actively managed spring setup. I don't really know for sure, but the adjuster being mid span would further suggest that those units are attached to the pushrods. Very interesting. The Lola runs a three damper rear system and this one only appears to have one. I believe that would be a major difference between the active and passively controlled systems. I have toyed with the monoshock system setup and come to the conclusion previously that there would need to be some sort of actively managed biasing system on either side of the shock piston, but even then issues of the "teeter tooter" effect still are there. Springs are a whole nother issue, but it appears that Audi has these things worked out.

Here's a couple pics from Mulsanne's Corner showing the earlier versions.

Well I don't really want to resize them all, but there is a full explaination and pics of the rear suspension here:

Mulsanne's Corner: 2006-2008 Audi R10

The shots of the front with the nose off also give you a glimpse of the shocks and fly by wire rack. GOOD STUFF.:thumbsup:

Back