Amateur Racing Series

Hello everyone,

I was hoping to gauge interest in an amateur racing series dedicated to replica and modern race cars covered here. The idea would be something that a large range of people could get involved with by including a lot of classes:

Exo-skeleton type cars would be the first group, with classes for different engines

Vintage Care Cars, again with classes to equalize power outputs / weight ratios

Modern Race Cars like the RCR SLC, Ultima GTR, FF GTM, ect....

The idea is to get these cars on the track, not win a bunch of money, get huge sponsors, become famous, just the love of driving.

We could include unlimited classes for each group for the guys that like huge hp, while the class structure can keep things cheap if you want to go that way.

I think that Brian Hamilton has been looking into something along these lines, so maybe he will chime in soon with more ideas, some rules suggestions.....

Lets make this the start of some kind of grass roots racing league, (Amateur Racing League, ARL ??) that the average guy can get involved with and have fun without breaking the bank.

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
This is EXACTLY what I have dreamed of. A grass roots racing league where you run what ya brung and you get placed in different catagories depending on your setup. I mean it'll be a little more involved than that, but you get the jist of it.
I talked to Ron about this a little bit ago and he said it was an awesome idea, but the fact that most of the people who have these cars (GT40s) will NOT want to trade paint. Very understandable, I wouldn't want to do that to my baby either. This is why we get manufacturer involvement to have a race ready package. No bells & whistles, just the car ready to rock & roll! Affordable prices are also key. Replacement body pannels are pretty much available any time, so is suspension and brake components. As far as chassis & drivetrain components... That's where you run into some snags.
As for the Exoskeleton cars, these things are perfect!! I know when I priced everything out, you could build one of Fran's SLRs for about $25-27k and it would make everything else on the road look like it's standing still. I mean I priced an SRT4 drivetrain, ported head, cams, turbo & injector upgrades, stand alone ECU, tires, everything. $25-27k!! That's pretty insane. The fact that vehicles like this are very open for drivetrain configuration lets the mind go wild. Ariel Atom, KTM Xbow, Kirkham Rush, etc. are all in the same field.

Here's what I'm thinking as far as classes...
Vintage Historical Racers - Time trial, 1 car at a time
LeMans Legends - Racing of 60's-70's era LeMans cars
Modern Racers - SLC, Ultima, FFR GTM, etc.
ExoCars - Atom, Xbow, SLR, Rush, etc.

Each would have different classes for different levels of vehicle. It'd get slightly complicated, but fun & for the most part affordable.

What do you guys think? Any opinions? Please give as much feedback and info as you want!!

Laters,

Brian

Ron Earp

Admin
Dan,<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
There are places like that to race right now. Take your pick – SCCA, NASA, BMW Club, Porsche Club, and so on. While the latter two are marquee specific, the first two have places to race exo-skeleton race cars, vintage race cars, and “modern” race cars. All are for amateurs and are affordable - the the extent that ANY racing will be affordable.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
The SCCA and NASA don’t have pay outs, only little trophys. We don’t have huge sponsors, and, you won’t be famous outside the paddock of the SCCA or NASA race unless you do something spectacularly stupid and make the evening news.

Racing takes a lot of effort by the organizing body and the participants. Dates have to be set up, track rentals figured out (know how much VIR costs for a weekend? About $60,000), cars teched, workers found (don't think those corner works come with the track rental do you), insurance procured, emergency services rented, and most importantly - safety regulations with cages and so forth must be implemented. If you are suggesting that folks "run what they brung" on a race track with no safety equipment and "race" then I don't think you'll find anyone that will insure you. Not sure you'll find many people wanting to race with your organization either.

With the SCCA and NASA already filling the need with respect to organization, safety, technical inspections, and so on what is the goal of the ARL?

If you want "race packages" at affordable prices then check out SCCA's Spec Racer Ford and Spec Miata classes. Buy a car for about $8k to $17k, race your heart out. If you want a run what you bring class (as long as it has cages and so forth) check out NASAs Performance Touring classes - the class has modifiers for horsepower, modifications, and so on - the sky is the limit. Or NASAs KC1-KC5 classes especially for kit cars. Try NASAs FFR Cobra Challenge if you want a bit of spec racing with a vintae feel, Gorden Levy here could help you out with that. Feel real ballsy - step into the SCCA's Super Production Over, SPO class, and drive whatever you like as long as it meets the safety regs. Best bring some serious heat for SPO though.

With more racing than I can possibly do all within about four hours of me I'm not sure where the ARL would fit. Seriously - with NASA and the SCCA I could race just about every weekend from Feb through Nov in whatever classes I wished - and that includes cars like the SLR (got to have a cage and meet rule specs). From mild to wild, it is out there if you want to do it.

The view from inside a spec Miata racing with other Miatas is pretty much the same view as from inside a F1 car racing with other F1 cars - it is a racecar, you're racing, and the game is on. I think once you get a taste of real racing it won't much matter what you are driving (to an extent), I know it doesn't to me, I just like to "get my race on!".

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
Awesome points Ron!!
When I said "Run Whatcha Brung" I assumed people would realize there were safety regulations in place. LOL I really didn't realize there were so many classes available to run in with these organizations. I'm about 2 hours away from Texas Motorsport Ranch, so I guess I gotta get over there and get some more info.
Maybe what we need to start figuring out how we can just get a club together. LOL I dunno.

Laters,

Brian

Ron Earp

Admin
Awesome points Ron!!
When I said "Run Whatcha Brung" I assumed people would realize there were safety regulations in place.
Maybe what we need to start figuring out how we can just get a club together. LOL I dunno.n

I think you'd find plenty of opportunities to race with the SCCA, NASA, or HSR if you have a look around. In some areas of the country the SCCA or NASA co-exist with lots of racers in both, but in other areas one or the other is dominant because of the number of racers - not enough racers, workers, and interest.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that there are enough places to race and starting another racing club would be an uphill battle. There have been discussions on this forum about a "gentleman's racing league" but when examined this proves to be a rather poor idea, in my opinion, with little feasibility. When you are racing, you're racing, and you need safety equipment, track support, and so on - all the things that a good club supplies and enforces.

Now, there is a upstart "solo" sort of time trial based racing that I've read about but I can't find the link. It met with a lot of flak on the NASA and SCCA boards since it advertised "real racing" with no safety equipment. Essentially it is a driver's ed track setup with timed laps. You set a pace lap and your goal is to run the closest to that lap, sort of like bracket racing for a road course. Didn't seem to interesting to me.

Did'nt know there were so many classes either. Definetly didnt think there was any classes existing that you could run a GTR, SLC, GTM, ect...

Any events around Chicago area? We have autobahn in Joilet, but I dodnt think they did many of those type of events.

My real dream is to start up one of those race track country clubs somewhere, with a huge road course. But that would take more to get off the ground than a racing league I think!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Did'nt know there were so many classes either. Definetly didnt think there was any classes existing that you could run a GTR, SLC, GTM, ect...

Any events around Chicago area? We have autobahn in Joilet, but I dodnt think they did many of those type of events.

My real dream is to start up one of those race track country clubs somewhere, with a huge road course. But that would take more to get off the ground than a racing league I think!

I race SCCA / NASA / Midwestern Council in the Central Division.

I live in Minnesota - my "Home" racetrack is Brainerd International Raceway.

You have a number of racetracks that are not that far from the Chicago area.

1) Blackhawk Farms in Beloit WI (about 90 miles)
2) Milwaukee Mile (Roval)
3) AutoBahn in Joliet
4) Mid-America Motorplex (Council Bluffs Iowa - easy tow)
5) Road America - Plymouth WI
6) Iowa Speedway (Roval) Newton IA

There are others being built..

I don't want to put too much of a damper on the ideas but many of these cars (mine included) are not truly competition worthy by today's sanctioning body standards. Ron Earp has taken considerable measures to make his RCR Lola compliant and has spent a lot of time and money to do so.
Track Days or PDE / PDX (Performance Driving Experiences) are slightly different as you are not in true wheel to wheel competition. You would most certainly be accepted within their ranks.. Most Vintage groups will look down their collective noses at you because your car is a replica - many call them "Frauds"..
For the record - I would love to pee in their shoes...

I will take my car to the track with me for instructional purposes (I am an instructor) a few times or more - but fully appreciative of the rules and regulations, I know my car would not be a safe car in W2W competition or even 10:10's should I get in over my head.. I will take it a bit easy and would hope that others do the same until they've made all the appropriate adjustments and modifications...

Back