rear deck lid

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Anyone have a SPF MK1 that the rear deck lid is off to the left of center? If so how much? If I am standing at the back of the car and looking forward the opening for the induction is off center by an inch to the left, its not the motor as I have made those measurements but the opening seems to be cast to the left of center. If everyone has this then I am curious how much.

Anyone have a SPF MK1 that the rear deck lid is off to the left of center? If so how much? If I am standing at the back of the car and looking forward the opening for the induction is off center by an inch to the left, its not the motor as I have made those measurements but the opening seems to be cast to the left of center. If everyone has this then I am curious how much.

My MKI (2123) is also a bit off. I have around 3/4" more space to the left of the 8 stack system than on the right. This is probably why so many owners have chosen to cut out the opening and install clear lexan. I suggest you not get too hung up about it, and don't go measuring too many other things if it bothers you. Besides this, the lynch-pin on my rear shell is significantly off-center with respect to the vent grill immediately above it, my exhausts exit visibly off-center in the rear grill opening, etc. etc. All of these things were starting to grate on me until I stopped to realize that not a single person outside of me has ever noticed any of them. I also remembered the time I installed a new license plate frame on my Dino. When I tried to fine the exact center of the tail of the car I found that NOTHING was exactly symmetrical. My wife told me, "Sweetie, you're face isn't perfectly symmetrical either, but I wouldn't want to change it." (She's a good gal.) These GT40's are copies of race cars that were not exactly what you would call coachbuilt artwork. Fortunately the quality of Hightech's finish overshadows any of this.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Your both correct, I am glad I am not the only one then. :) While I got your attention, did you find a bunch of crap in your fuel tanks?

Jack,

Make sure you have a good fuel filter, probably 2, and alot of replacement filter elements. Believe me you'll most likely change them more than once in the first 1-2K miles. As I understand it, the factory made no attempt to clean out the tanks after welding and assembly. A 40 then 10 micron filter should do it.

Rich.

Dennis Olthoff alerted me to the fuel filter issue. He ran my car 120 or so miles in the shake-down process and had to change the filter several times. I have not gone very far afield with the car as yet for that very reason. I have to open her up tonight, check the filter and buy some replacement elements.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I have two filters but came up with a system that worked pretty good, I took a remote mount oil filter and put a high volume electric oil pump, opened the fuel filler caps stuck one end to the bottom of one tank and pumped across the car to the bottom of the other, left if run for 3 hours, I hope it took most of the crap out. I use a low pressure pump that has a filter on the suction and it pumps to a catch tank where the High pressure pump picks it up and pumps through another filter to the EFI. Rick I have a home in Ukiah, I see your from Norcal too, we should hook up sometime. We live in Arkansas most the time.

Back