Passenger compartment venting

Hallo

I think about a smart solution to vent the passenger compartment, in order to release the pressure build up by fresh air supply by connected fresh air ducts.
I don´t want to build anything into the roof. I also don´t want to drive around all the time with open side windows.
As my plan is to get the car watertight, natural venting will be limited.
The current idea is to use the service/access opening of the RCR 40s which are behind the seat to service and acces the radius rod mounts.
The idea is to use a venting valve( they usually provide a backflow prevention) from an passenger car , mount it in this access panel and thats it. This way overpressure should be able to vent out and if there is more pressure on the other side , the ventvalve will lock it out.
There should be no issue with water and odors.

Would be interessed in your opinion and ideas.

TOM

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Good idea Tom!

I was thinking about putting the top vent panel in but like you was concerned about water control...

Hi Tom
what you want are the one-way flap valves used to vent a conventional passenger car. The following photos are of a GM one and are normally fitted in the side of boot area behind the trim panel.

Regards
Andy

Attachments

• P5020705.jpg
    P5020705.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 313
  • P5020706.jpg
    P5020706.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 308
Andy

This is exactly what i thought of. I just would have to make a rectangular Tube adapted to the back side of the access panel in order to give the flap valve the correct inclination to close the flap by gravity.

Thanks
TOM

Hi Tom,
Air will pass throughthe valve in the way you describe but surely a lot of sound will pass into the cabin even with the valve shut. Or maybe not ??
John McL

John,
I thought of connecting a insulated flexible tube to a hole in the chassis floor to have a direct connection to the cars underfloor section.
See drawing:
passengercompartmentventing.jpg

I´m not quire sure about pressure conditions of this setup. What is the pressure in this underfloor section is it a slight under- or overpressure ?
Thanks for help.

TOM

Last edited:
Tom,
If you run with this configuration (and I like the development of your thinking), you can always mount a very small "spoiler" or lip ahead of the outlet opening, to help create the lower pressure you need.
And the interior will be positively pressurised, assisting.

Dalton

Back