SPF vs. Original

As I sit on my hands, waiting to see if this will really be the month when I take delivery of P/2192, I started wondering:

Assuming a right-hand steering car, what are the tell-tales that would distinguish a Superformance Mk I from an original car? Specifically, when viewed from the outside, what characteristics would an expert use to tell one from the other?

A few things come to mind, such as the absence of a Lucas 608 rear-view mirror – and the car's patina, of course. But given the number of variations between various authentic Mk I's, are there many details that serve to 'give away' an SPF's provenance?

Kim

I look for the MKII style louver roof vent on the MKI body as a clue. The plastic eyebrows or aero fairings are another give-away. One last item I look at is the body work leading into the radiator area. Original cars are very well finished in this area while most of the replicas, including the Superformance, have less finish work. Another area, while not visible from outside the car is the headers used on the Superformance. The MKI style headers look too much like the MKII big block headers. Small block cars should have small block style headers. Look at an ERA set of headers or an original set and you will see the difference. My CAV has decent headers but cause clearence problems when trying to fit a clod air box. Some of the mirrors I have seen on the superformance cars were lacking a period look, also. Please don't get me wrong when I point out these issues, as the Superformance GT40 is VERY original looking and would be quite easy to get it looking more like an original car.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Kim its worth the wait, I have my car on the road P2164 now after 9 months of having motor built and finding a transaxle. Keith Craft is a great choice of engine builders, I know several people who have used him and are very happy. Are you doing your own work? As far as SPF, they did a good job but there are a number of tweaks you'll be doing as in any NEW race car roller. I have a couple F cars and an old L car and by far your going to be ahead with your choice for pure kick in your butt performance and cost effectiveness.

PS I wish I would I had a right hand drive now, just my thoughts.

I think one would have to have extensive knowledge of the GT in order to spot the differences and there are far and few in the SPF. Hell I don't know how many times people have commented on my 'Corvette'...

Enjoy-

Chris

Back