new rear window

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
After driving for awhile I found the noise and heat from the rear view window to be a problem so I scribed my old .125 window from the engine side then digitized it and put on my cnc router. Its made of .75 cast acrylic which is very clear, .5 of it protrudes from the engine compartment into the cab the fit its .020 larger than the scribe mark to make a seal into the rubber when inserted. I also pre-drilled holes to use as pilot for the drilling on the cab. The air cleaners are made of .5 lexan and routered to a perfect fit on the throttle bodies. I am interested in marketing these to GT40 owners so if anyone is interested send me a Private message or just give me your comments. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_9154.jpg
    IMG_9154.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 421
  • IMG_9155.jpg
    IMG_9155.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 396
  • IMG_9156.jpg
    IMG_9156.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 422
  • IMG_9157.jpg
    IMG_9157.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 407
I have found no heat intrusion through the window as long as you are moving. When you stop the window gets warm. Noise is a different issue. Does the thicker window help very much on that?

Malcolm

Supporter
A local 40 owner to me had a double glazed inner rear window made up and said it works very well at keeping the sound levels down. He was going for comfort more than a light weight race car!

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I tested the new rear window and there was a good deadening of sound from the engine, I could tell the difference when I shut the door and started down the driveway. As for the heat its no difference from my point of view, but it is much clearer than the 1/8 inch material. So if your interested for sound deadening it works well and looks good.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Here are some more pictures of finished product.

Attachments

• IMG_9162.jpg
    IMG_9162.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_9163.jpg
    IMG_9163.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_9166.jpg
    IMG_9166.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_9167.jpg
    IMG_9167.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_9168.jpg
    IMG_9168.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_9169.jpg
    IMG_9169.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 286

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I purchased some Dynamat, put it in the doors, floor pan, front foot wells, and the area that covers the fuel tanks. I can hear noises that I have never heard before, like all the air going past the roof vent and the little side windows. Well worth the time and effort if your going to use for street use. I also used the high temp insulation from Summit Racing on the front foot well area and the
firewall between engine and cab, then sealled every hole going in the cab. I figured that I shaved off a couple hundred pounds with an aluminum block so putting 50 back on for comfort is no big deal. One of the biggest noise reduction is the window but the combo of it all really works.

Back