Engine / gearbox choice Superlite coupe

Craig Gillingham

Banned because I can't follow the forum rules.
Whats the census of opinion based on personal practical choice?

I read the LS7 in the 2006 corvette Z06 produces 500bhp and 475ftlb of torque. With the GM Tremec 6 speed manual it reaches 190mph plus and 0-100mph in 7.5secs...car weighing 3130lbs. maybe 1000lb more than the coupe.?
Think that would be for me for: reliabilty, ease of mating etc if this config can fit the chassis?

whats your choices?

LS7 is a great engine choice, don't think that the Tremec will fit, needs to be a rear / mid engine trans I think.

the LS-7 should use a really heavy duty transaxle such as the Ricardo Ford GT unit.
Over 200MPH is possible.
Fran has built one and I believe it is showing at Carslile this weekend. The TREMEC will not work in a mid-engine configuration.

I thought about converting the corvette trans to a mid-engine setup since its already mounted in the rear of the vette. all you would really need to do it put a bell housing on it and you would have a mid engine trans. But, you will notice that the vette trans has the axles coming of the back of the trans, while a mid engine transaxle have the axles as close to the bell housing as possible. Having the axles so far rearward will make for a very long setup if used in a mid engine configuration.
Though, I think the 908 had the axles coming out of the back of the trans like this...

Personally, I simply could not fine fault with the LS7. It is a ridiculous amount of power for such a light car stock, and if you really must have more, you can get it. But before you do, ask around. I have a buddy with an Ultima (closest thing on the road to an SLC). He has a 650 hp or so chevy motor, carbed, originally wet-sump. He said the biggest waste of money building the car was the motor - he simply cannot get the power to the ground. Plus, he had to convert to dry sump pretty quickly.

Tell me where else you can find and all aluminum small block 7 liter dry sump EFI motor with 560 hp (typical actual dyno numbers) and 7000 rpm redline with a 24 month factory warranty for anywhere near the money?

And then the GT transaxle... there is simply no better on the market. The tremec is nice (we have a TKO-600 in our Cobra) but the ratios in the GT are much better for such a light and powerful car. The tall gearing not only gives you tremendous top speed, it also makes the torque much easier to deliver to the pavement. And Fran has a few to offer customers :)

The LS7-Ricardo combo in an SLC will make the car an absolute rocket, a true 200+ mph supercar that few can touch. If only I could use the same combo in a GT40... oh wait, I can!!!

Craig, I expect you saw these photos, SL-C with LS7 & Ricardo: http://www.gt40s.com/forum/rcr-foru...ite-coupe-have-full-roll-cage.html#post227419

It looks like our 1st Aus SL-C will be powered by twin turbo Lexus and one of the stronger Porsche transaxle models. Great bang for buck.

For those that are satisfied with less than an insane amount of power, the Chev LS1, LS2, L92/L76 etc with some of the basic tweaks would be a fun drive. A reasonable money saving as you could also run a much cheaper transaxle.

These are just some mainstream engine ideas, your choices are virtually endless.

Craig Gillingham

Banned because I can't follow the forum rules.
J Salmon - too right.

The fastest thing i have raced is a superkart weighing 90kg with 65bhp - try 1min 24s at cadwell!!!

Then the radical at 180bhp, 400kg. Upping power to just 220bhp meant thousands on bodywork alterations, rubber implications, aero packages etc etc. The car was at its ultimum and just power on its own would have meant slower lap times.

Living at silverstone UK i have been lucky to bump into a few people
The best for me was Jackie stewart, and as a "privateer" sharing the same garage as Team Scorpio FBMW team with my radical on a test day, he spared me a 20sec chat mainly which led on from his confirmation that the road going version Radical had it place.

I will never forget what he said

"son, a fast car can be either:
a pure circuit car,
a pure rally car or a drag car:
or a street car based on a circuit car, or a street car based on a rally or drag car:
or a pile of shit"

it took me the rest of the day to figure out that i "think" he meant along the lines of trying to make a circuit car out of a drag car and go fast around a race circuit is a complete shitta!!
OR never the twain shall meet :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Can someone post the differences in Cost of different setups please? New and used out of junk yards.. Horse power ratings would be great too...Like..

-Lexus v8 turbos-what trans?
-LS1 w/ audi trans
to
-Ls7 GT40 trans

Check with Fran next week (after Carlisle) and he can give you some pricing info. He was able to get me good prices on both an LS7 and a GT tranny.

yes, Fran will be able to give an exact pricing. I'm not as familiar with the USA pricing.

You could also go normally aspirated Lexus & audi.

You could source and fit an LS1/Audi setup for only a few thousand dollars 2nd hand. Same with normally aspirated Lexus and Audi.

A new LS7 with new Ricardo(Ford GT) gearbox from Fran ready to go in an SL-C would be around $30k at a guess. You would save quite a few thousand dollars by getting a 2nd hand Ricardo off Fran.

I know a guy that has done quite a few Lexus(1UZFE) turbo setups. Even some work with SL-C setups. I'll check on pricing for you.

LS1/Audi & Lexus Audi would be a nice budget setup for an SL-C.

LS7/Ricardo would be Super Car territory.

Lexus TT would be somewhere in between. You would run a Porsche transaxle on the Lexus. Which Porsche transaxle, depends on the power level you were aiming for.

This is only my rough guide, to get more accurate pricing you would need to talk to Fran or research pricing yourself.

Back